Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Top 10 parenting tips I wish some people would know about.

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:56 AM
  • 30 Replies
2 moms liked this

I live in a decent size town. I can't help but notice all the parents to this new generation of children. These are some parenting tips I wish most people would think about. 

1. I noticed a good number of teen moms (other moms too) are more willing to have photos of other peoples kids. But hardly any pictures of their own kid. I know it's hard to get photos done. But most of us have cell phones these days. So can anyone tell me why this is?

2. Moms letting children run a muck. We have all been at the store where one kid is screaming and the mom just gives the child what they want to keep them quite. Just to let those moms know, you are NOT helping your child. You are teaching them that they can get away with whatever they want as long as they cry about it. I know most new parents are against spankings. Find another way. Corners, taking desert, taking their favorite toy for a long period, SOMETHING!! The more you let them act out the more trouble you cause for yourself and others in the future.

3. PUT YOUR CHILD DOWN!!! I have noticed way too many babies being coddled and not even allowed tummy time for more then 10 minutes. Because "He cries every time I put him down." Guess what? BABBIES ARE MENT TO CRY SOMETIMES! They need to cry it out sometimes to learn that there is a world beyond the arms of parents. Like rolling on the floor. I'm not saying leave your child there for hours with no attention or food and let them cry for 2 hours. I'm saying have 30-45 minutes NON STOP of them having tummy time and crying it out. I promise they will be ok.

4. Formula. That's right we all knew it was coming. Formula is not a bad thing for some cases. But as studies have shown breast milk is best. If you can't for some reason or you really don't want to, fine. But breastfeeding is work! The best job you will ever do. That means let the baby eat for more then 15 minutes on each boob. Let them eat until they are full. Different babies need different nutrition. I know it's hard and alot of time, but later you'll be glad you did.

5. Children are not pets. You can not just let someone else watch your child all the time because you can't handle it. You made this bed. You got pregnant. You either need to take care of your own child. Or give the child up to someone who will take care of it, legally. It is not others responsibility to parent your child. I mean the moms who everyday need someone to watch their kids and do nothing for them because someone else did it. It's your kid, not someone else's. Also do not lug around your kid to 3 different friends houses out in the cold. Babies are sensitive. One friend every couple days, fine. One friend for 2 or the separate days, ok. Not all the time.

6. Diapers. I know they are gross and nasty. But the poor baby can't help it. They can't get up and walk to the bathroom. If you leave a diaper on a kid for over a hour, check it please! I say this because my sister-in-law would leave my niece and nephew in their diaper for LONG periods of time. The poor things both have permanent scaring on their legs from the diaper rashes they had all the time. From those full diapers for more then a hour. Remember they go to the bathroom more then we do. 

7. Money does not equal love. Just because they have that brand new $50 toy that teachs them spanish. Does not mean they even have the skills or the knowlage of even knowing english or important motor skills yet. Play with your baby. Lay on the floor and talk to them, read them a book. Love it the best thing in this world. Try and not forget, love will be there long after the money is spent.

8. Manors. I have noticed alot of parents have stopped teaching manors. Like saying "Please" and "Thank you" or "No Thank you." Why has this become a trend? Do you like it when someone asks you nicely for something? Well children need to be taught that lesson. That means making them say it to you every time they want something. 'Want more juice? You have to say please before I give it to you and thank you. Or guess what? You don't get it.' It's not abuse. It's common courtesy. 

9. Respect for others. You know how the baby was crying at 4 in the morning. And your mom came in and said, "I'll take the baby and stay up with her. You get some sleep you have school tomorrow." That was your mother HELPING YOU! She didn't need to. It wasn't her job. She did it because she loves you. Realize this and say thank you. Don't give all the credit to people who just  take the kid to someone else to watch so they can not do it too. Help is help, getting a thank you now and again or even everytime is a blessing to those of us who help. If you don't appreciate it, then we won't do it anymore simple as that!

10. Parental interference. I have noticed alot now days people are in a hurry to tell others they are wrong. I do it too. But this one is about those moms who step on moms trying to do these things. Too many times I have had to go to my friends house and tell her she was right for telling her kid she was grounded. Why? Because someone told the child, then my friend; the mother, "Oh no sweetie. You shouldn't get grounded because you stole something." Wait a second time out. You allow your child to do that fine. But this is THEIR child. That means they get the say. If they are beating them until the bruise, or yelling at them so bad you feel you did it, fine step in and say,"Hey, I think your going a bit too far. Step away for a second and breathe." or notify someone. But don't discourage the parents trying to teach their children there are consequences for their actions.

Note: This does not apply to everyone. Not everyone has the same bad habit. These are just a few thing I noticed bother me about other people.

What are some thing you see other parents do, you wish they didn't?

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marshsmom
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Aside from beating on your kid in Walmart I don't really pay that much attention to what other parents do.  I don't assume other parents don't think of these things (that you posted) and I also don't assume they share my parenting style.  This post comes off as self rightous and snobby, btw.

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:39 AM
4 moms liked this

These sound more like judgements and not tips.

I tend to just focus on my own son, and most of what you posted is very important to me (especially manners), but I really have little time in my day, to worry about judging, what others do. It would really have to be some kind of outrageous behavior for me to take notice and thankfully I have never run into that.

lorial58
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:45 AM
3 moms liked this

I disagree with some of the "advice" in this post.  I don't like the "let the baby just lay there and cry" thing.  You don't have to run and pick them up but you can always use some distraction techniques.  Letting them lay around screaming tells the child that they can't trust you to help them when they need it.

As for taking the child out in public I always waited until they were just up from a nap so they wouldn't be crabby and they were well fed again so they wouldn't have a reason for being noisy.  If they did start making a nuisance of themselves by even thinking about having a tantrum we'd leave the establishment.  I think my children learning how to behave in public is much more important than me shopping for a new bra or having a sandwich somewhere.

newfound09
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this
What bothers me is others thinking they know what goes on in my home simple because of the minute they saw me feed my child with A bottle. You see a fraction of a second of another persons life, who are you or anyone else to judge?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
krodden87
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:28 AM
I kind of love how pretty much all of this post could fall into your number 10. Focus on you and yours and i will focus on me and mine.
ekh2010
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:44 AM
You mentioned learning english but you have several spelling and punctuation errors. This really wasnt eye opening or helpful more like talking down to younger moms. Not everyone is perfect, and yes some are more disrespectful and more ditzy than others you should choose not to associate with them instead of acting like you are better than them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SpiritedMom2
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this

what a patronizing post - Im sorry to say. Im sure you meant well - but many of these are your opinions and your parenting style. Just because you follow this doesnt mean everyone has to! Aside from some obvious stuff - which i didnt need to read about to know is right - like good manners, and stepping in when one sees a child being abused - the rest of it is merely personal parenting styles. For example- I dont believe holding your baby all the time is harmful at all - in fact studies show that the warmth from human connection helps babies bond better and improves their ability to form relationships later in life. Similarly - the child running amock in walmart - might well be a "spirited" child (have you even heard of this term?) and letting him run around for a few minutes is probably the best thing that mom could do at the moment - its not for you to judge her without knowing anything about her. and so long as hes not bothering anyone or breaking anything - theres no harm in it. Sorry but you sound just like one of those grumpy ol ladies complaining about "parents nowadays..." and "children nowadays..." without knowing anything much...

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:56 PM
2 moms liked this

LOl, I think you have a warped view of being coddled. But that is my opinion.

My 5 year old daughter was held/worn constantly. 
I would play with her on the floor, and never let her cry it out on the floor, by herself...ever.
She crawled at 7 months, and walked at 11 months.
She is also very independent....and you wand to know something? When she is sick or feeling overwhelmed, I still wear her, and cuddle her as much as she wants.  When I am sick or just tired of the world, what do I do? I go cuddle in bed, wrapped up in a cocoon of blankets with her :) 

One thing I see other parents do, that I wish they didn't, was judge other's when they have no clue what their situation is, or who they are. ^ Judgy Mcjudgerson.  

justinnaimee
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this
First of all you sound incredibly uneducated yourself. You have multiple spelling and grammar mistakes.

That said CIO actually CAN hurt a baby. It raises their cortosol levels and can change their brain chemistry.

I honestly quit reading after that one. I couldn't take the Judgy mcjudgerson attitude anymore.
Mel0dy
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:04 PM
2 moms liked this

This is not really parenting tips lol 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured