Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

She's not ready for kindergarten

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:41 AM
  • 33 Replies
I rook my 4 yo dd to sign up for preschool and they told me shes told old. She will be 5 August 4. What happened to the choice of sending your child when have an early birthday? My ds has an August birthday too and I sent him at 5 and he does not do well socially as he is younger than everyone. I wanted to keep her home for one more year. Anyone been through this? Edit: I spoke to someone in the public school district and the catholic school district. They both said if she starts school when she is six she will be put in first grade and skip kindergarten. Unless I can get a note from a doctor saying she is not developmentally ready.
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jadegirl1819
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Was this a private preschool?  Maybe try another school. 

Clubpenguin
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:50 AM
Quoting Jadegirl1819:

no it was a public school. She told me any preschool regulated by the state cannot accept a child who is five before sept 1. Legally she has to be registred in kindergarten. I'm still looking .
emarin77
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Quoting Jadegirl1819:

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Can you homeschool for preschool?

Clubpenguin
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

Can you homeschool for preschool?

i really want to give her some kind of experience in school before she goes to k. And they may stick her in first grade and skip k which I will fight. Just so sad I know shes not ready. If I knew I didn't have a choice I would have put her in prek in sept last year.
aarensmommy
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:54 AM

i thought kindergarten was optional...and a child doesnt have to go to school till 6 per law. maybe i am wrong. there was a kid in my sons preschool who was in preschool for 3 yrs i think he turned 6 shortly after he started K.

Clubpenguin
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:58 AM
Quoting aarensmommy:

i thought kindergarten was optional...and a child doesnt have to go to school till 6 per law. maybe i am wrong. there was a kid in my sons preschool who was in preschool for 3 yrs i think he turned 6 shortly after he started K.

i thought so too. The lady told me now age 5 has to be enrolled in kindergarten. Maybe laws are different here.
lnr187
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this

she probably is too old for preschool. if you don't think she'll be ready for kindergarten in september, you can keep her home another year. is she in daycare now?  find a daycare that is educational. i worked for a daycare "---- education and child care center" i think my ss learned more there than when he went to pre-k.

lnr187
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:01 AM

varies by state. in my state kindergarten is not optional. pre-k is optional.

Quoting aarensmommy:

kblpooh
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:01 AM
Can you enroll her in pre k for next year? I did that with my daughter. Her bday is in Aug but she wasn't ready when she turned 5 so I put her in a pre k through a daycare center for that year. I had to pay for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN