Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

A little vent and advice needed...am I crazy!?!

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:53 AM
  • 11 Replies

I don't get on here much, but I need some advice from others...

My daughter just turned 6, is in kindergarten, and since the beginning of the year we have been having problems with a 5th grade girl on her bus that lives down the road. It started over the summer and I thought we got past the issue until things started to change on the bus. This girl constantly was sitting with my then 5 year old and bossing her around... telling my child what and what not to do. Also telling her that we, her parents were mean. I am sorry, but first off No 5th grader should be sitting with my 5 year old child, there is a large age gap there that I am not comfortable with. I spoke with the bus driver and told him that this girl is NOT to sit with or near my child. Nothing changed, so I spoke with the principal who promised a change. Lately I have been noticing a big change in my daughter, attitude and just nasty towards others. This is soooo not like her. So, after talking with her and digging deeper I knew it was this girl again.

After she gets on the bus this girl walks up and sits with or next to my daughter, after the bus pulls away WTF!! I was also told that this girl told my daughter that I called her and another girl a "B*tch"... Nice right!?! To my kindergarten child.My daughter will not be riding the bus anymore, I went in to talk to principal this morning but she was in a meeting, now I am waiting on a phone call. My husband is furious, it's just plain ridiculous that a parent makes a complaint, does not want this older child near theirs and yet its still happening.

** Let me also give you some background on the issue. Over the summer, we had a few neighborhood kids come play, just about everyday. I knew where they lived, their parents, and they were close in age. However, this brought more kids to come and think this was a neighborhood playground. I let it go for a day, until this Girl was completely rude and bullying one of the kids that I was ok with playing there, because she was heavier. That was it, I told them to go home, they were to old to play with my kids, and no one is going to be a brat playing here. So, since then she would walk by (shes another child that is allowed to roam wherever the hell they want) and just stare and give dirty looks. That is just one incident, I have had to ask her to leave more than once. I have not found out where she lives yet, but I am ready to go knocking on her parents door myself.

So... am I crazy? Would this piss any other parents off, especially if it was your kindergarten student?? I would like to hold on to the fact that my daughter is 6 and I can still choose who she is around and who influences her life. I've made it clear that I do not like how this girl acts, she is mean and obviously is allowed to do whatever she wants, I  do not want my daughter around her.

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceciliam
by Cecilia on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I think there should be better supervision on the bus. Hopefully, you can get things worked out.

AimeeE
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I'm so sorry for what you're going through. :( This is why my children don't get to ride the bus. I was bullied on the bus whenI was kid and I promised I wouldn't ever let my kids ride the bus. I never understood how one person is supposed to drive safe AND observe and discipline 30+ kids???

SpiritedMom2
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Youre absolutely right to be furious - I wouldnt let my child around an older child like this girl u talk about. You should definitely complain to the school.

MeghMirab
by Meghan on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Something should have been done. I feel like they should have meetings about bullying at every age! For students and faculty, Kindergarten+. Kind of like how they do pep rallys. AT LEAST ONCE A MONTH! So kids can recognize it and learn how to make it stop or stray away from these negative kids. I think it's a good idea you took her off the bus because that's about all I can see you can physically do about the situation. 

starr377
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:51 PM

i went through this at the begining of the school year with my daughter also in kindergarten and 6yrs old. i called the bus garage as well as spoke to her teacher as she walks the out to the bus that my child is supose to sit in the front seats only as only the kindergarteners are and the older ones are to be in the back. it tool two calls to both teacher and garage but after a week and a half it was handled.

since in your case this girl lives somewhere in your neighborhood, i would insist on a meeting with the principal and request the girls parents be there so you can discuss all the issues. being in the 5th grade this girl should be suspended for her behavior on the bus. lots of luck!

CotterpinDoozer
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I'm sorry you're going through this. Something should have been done, and I don't blame you for not letting her ride the bus anymore. Once when I was in first grade, My dad saw some older boy grab the back of my backpack and yank me backwards on the bus. It wasn't the first time it had happened, but the driver never did anything about it, nor did the school. Needless to say, that boy wasn't feeling so big and bad when my father got a hold of him. I didn't ride the bus after that.

Jadegirl1819
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Definately set up a meeting with the principal.  I prefer to do a lot of communication via email so I have everything in writing so no one can deny they said something.  Even if we have a meeting I will send a follow up email covering what was discussed. 

This is also something to contact the bus dispatch supervisor because the bus driver isn't doing his/her job. If there was a known issue then your daughter should have sat in the front so he could monitor who sat with her.  In our district K students are required to sit at the front seperate from the older kids anyway.

HappyMommyToo
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:28 PM

The bus drivers these days aren't like they used to be (some of them are...but most don't care). I hope you are able to contact the principal about what is going on. This way, the girls parents will hopefully deal with this situation on their end too.

punky2
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:38 PM

i am right there with u don't think there is enough adults on the bus to watch all the kids. no good comes out of big kids with the little ones an no one watching.

jabs54
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Bus drivers really can't be expected to control the kids.  They are driving the bus.  There needs to be another person on the bus to monitor the kids.  If there isn't you are wise to take her off the bus!  I wish all buses had monitors and cameras!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN