Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 5 year old daughter has been having very very sticky, hard to pass and hard to wipe, stools.(Maybe TMI just to forwarn) Remedy suggestions?

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:47 PM
  • 9 Replies

My daughter will be 5 in April, and she hasn't ever had any potty accidents, but the last two days she has had to run to the potty, only to stand up and say she doesn't have to go any more. But at some point later in the day, she has pooped a little in her underwear. She also pooped in the bathtub the last two nights. Each time she's gone, its only been one large stool. But accompanied by shaking and straining and complaints of a tummy ache.

While cleaning her bottom, the stool was extremely hard to wipe off and took 3 wet wipes and 4 dry ones. When I cleaned the bathtub I had to scrape the stool off the bottom of the tub, like glue. No wonder she's having a hard time!

I'm adding a tiny bit of clear fiber to her morning drinks for the next couple days, always having fresh water out for her, and upping her fruit, nut, and veggy intake. (We're vegetarians, so she normally has no problems)

Any other suggestions that might help?

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
brvdsmom
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:50 PM

prunes/prune juice works everytime!

SpiritedMom2
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Sounds like shes a wee bit constipated - so yes the fresh fruits and veggies and fibre should help. Try some prune juice or if she cant stand that mix some prune juice with some apple juice- that always helps for when my ds has indigestion. Watch out for bananas though they sometimes have the opposite effect (making her more constipated) - grapes - lots of them - are much better.

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Poor little one.  Sitting in water may help her move her bowels. I agree with increasing salad greens, fruits. 

Lullababy
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Psyllium powder is good too.

FlyingMommy747
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Yes, try fruit, but avoid bananas.  My DD has had similar problems.

MJP76
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:26 PM

What color is it? Brown, black, or dark green?

ravenstears
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Brown. She is doing much better now, thanks everyone!

MMerrill
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Prune juice!

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Christine0813
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Maybe more fiber?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured