Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Homeschool? Where to begin?

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:58 PM
  • 22 Replies
I'm considering homeschooling dd next school yr because the schools out here suck and I feel they're not teaching her 1/2 of what they could be. The problem is I have no idea where to even begin with looking into it. Is it still through the local school district? If it is, everything's still at her pace, so she's able to go well beyond what her peers are learning, right? Could someone point me in the right direction please? Thank you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
punky2
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this

i am right there with you looking into homeschooling also. i have looked at some of the ones like ecot and ohdela have u looked at those?? i am lost when it comes to when u buy ur or create ur own cirriculm and who u get ok'd through etc to do it.

luvemboth
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Awesome, thank you!

Quoting SpiritedMom2:

Begin here:

http://homeschooling.about.com/od/gettingstarted/p/homeschool101.htm

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvemboth
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:21 PM
No, I haven't looked into those yet, but now I will.

Quoting punky2:

i am right there with you looking into homeschooling also. i have looked at some of the ones like ecot and ohdela have u looked at those?? i am lost when it comes to when u buy ur or create ur own cirriculm and who u get ok'd through etc to do it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
punky2
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:29 PM

let me know what u find and if u have any questions i talked to a ecot teacher that is a friend of a friend so i got a little insight on that one.  but yeah i am very open to finding more out also. let me know and i'll do the same :)

luvemboth
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:31 PM
Will do!

Quoting punky2:

let me know what u find and if u have any questions i talked to a ecot teacher that is a friend of a friend so i got a little insight on that one.  but yeah i am very open to finding more out also. let me know and i'll do the same :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:04 PM
1 mom liked this

We are using Ohdela, they pay for everything, even field trips and your Internet connection. They also reimburse for extracurriculars. 
I am excited to start my daughter in it this fall.  

crafthag
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:12 PM
3 moms liked this
http://www.hslda.org/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shari55
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I homeschooled for over ten years, and I have to say it was the best experience for us. We did virtual charter school for half a year and while some of the benefits were good (field trips, reimburstments for internet(four times a year), and the interaction with peers), it ended up not being for us. 

Check with your state to see what the guidelines are (I am fortunate to live in a homeschool friendly state). 

Shari, wife to John since April 1988, Mom to Heather (Jan. 1977) she is mom to five(3boys, 2 girls), Nyssa(April 1989) Michaela(August 1994) and four cats

MJP76
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Google it.

homescooling is all done online now... Here's a food place to start.

http://www.k12.com/ohva

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN