Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Extreemly picky eater

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:01 PM
  • 6 Replies

This whole "it is just a phase" thing has gone too far for me. It has been well over a year since my son has eaten dinner. He is 2 and will be 3 in March. I think it started around the time we moved and had baby #3, he was about 18-20 months old.

To go more into detail, I only cook 1 dinner meal for everybody and if they don't like it than they go to bed without eating. Sometimes I give in and give him a bowl of cereal and I have even bought the Pediasure SideKicks to help make sure he is getting the protein and vitamins he needs although I don't give them to him all of the time because they are so damn expensive. Sometimes he does eat but it really depends on what it is, he is way too picky. He eats breakfast foods and most lunch foods like peanut butter or grilled cheese sandwiches.Dinner items he will eat are fish sticks, french fries only if from fast food or restaurant, mac n cheese if only in the individual cups, bread, biscuits, grilled cheese, corn dogs, hot dogs and most fruits. Sometimes he will eat chicken nuggets. Occasionally we will make smoothies that have fruits and veggies that he will sometimes drink. Before he used to eat pretty much everything I would cook.

I am really at my wits end on him not eating. I now hate cooking because I know he will just throw it on the floor or scream his freaking head off until I let him down. My oldest, 5 yo, will go along with him and not eat either but she has gotten better where we can at lest get her to try. I don't like him only eating crap food and I am not always into cooking fancy foods.

What am I supposed to do?? Please don't suggest that this is just a phase or he will eat when he is ready because I do not like those answers, it has gone on way too long and he needs to eat.

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:09 PM

That is more than my dd will eat and she has been in this "phase" for a long time.  We are seeking medical help to figure out what triggered the change in her eating habits.    Enforce a 3 bite rule for everyone in family.  If they do not like the food still then they can have dry cereal like cheerios.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:09 PM

PS any messes they make, they can clean up with help from you but they must clean it up as well as have a consequence for the misbehavior.

katiedidit02
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:29 PM

thanks, but dang boy wont even take one bite. i have shoved a bite or two in in mouth before and it was insane. He has been pretty good and just pushing his plate far enough where it doesn't always fall on the floor. I hate messes, gotta remember to make him clean up whatever he does..

katiedidit02
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:31 PM

at least he is eating the honeydue melon off of the plate tonight. fruit and bread are pretty much the most of what he will eat.

jweitl
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Because this has been going on for so long, I would suggest talking with your doctor. Occupational therapists that have experience working with children can help with "picky eaters." Most private insurances help pay for Occupational therapy services.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Marimaru
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I think I would start putting the plate in the fridge and every time he says he's hungry, pull out last night's dinner.  Until tonight's dinner, when it's something new and it starts over again.  If you can get him to take the 3 bites, even over time, then he can move on to something else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)