Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Pageants or No Pageants?

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi ladies well me and mom keep arguing about this pageant stuff I keep telling her no but she says she is going to do it anyway but she can't w/o my permission I believe that show Toddlers and Taras has gone to her head..I need advice on how to tell my mom to just STOP

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Replies (11-20):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:08 AM
no pageants
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetangie79
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:19 AM
I have been to one that my friends daughter did and she loves them. It was nice and fun. I would let her try it and see how it goes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kali_mom
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:37 AM
I think it depends on the child's age where they are in life and what you and dad have set as far as extra curriculum activity goes. If my mother had the means to sign my child up for pageants then I would try one and see how it worked. In the event my child did not place I would then speak with my mom about using her hard earned money on getting any debts she has paid off and saving for her retirement.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Not a pageant person and I would just flat out say no but that's my personality.

stephs5isenough
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:11 PM

This is how I feel about pageants.  I was in them as a kid and I had the best time.  I made a lot of real friends and I do think they did a lot for me socially and in helping me come out of shyness.  It should definitely be something the child wantsto do not something they are being pushed to do.  The show toddlers and tiaras is ridiculous.  Those little girls are too young and are being forced to be Barbie dolls.  That is messed up and I don't think right at all.  The child should be old enough to decide for themselves and, as has already been said, it should be a natural pageant.  Not something plastic looking.  If your daughter decides she wants to do them, you still need to set down some rules for her so she makes sure to keep everything in proper perspective.  Number one rule:  HAVE FUN and definitely don't get stuck up or cry because someone else wins sometimes. 

One more thing~It is not your mothers decision, It is yours and your daughters.

Quoting comptonkids:

Meh...as long as its a natural pageant and your dd is having fun...let her, but as soon as it stops being fun..then I'd stop
Just my opinion :)
We'd dp the natural ones but even those cost money we don't have...if my mom was willing to pay for it...we'd prob do a couple just for fun

Click my tag to follow me to:

Living In the Arms of Jesus:

Where we PLAY, PRAY and LEARN Together.

Pukalani79
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:43 PM

My MIL is on the board of the local Miss America pageant.  She has been planning for my oldest daughter to be in the pageants since we found out we were having a girl. LOL  I have a onesie she had made for her with a crown and the pageant name on it. :) My DH has been fighting it for years, but this year she went ahead and signed up our daughter for the Little Sister part of the program.  This part of the pageant is non competitive - whoever wins does so because her name was drawn from a hat.  Are we thrilled? Not so much.  My daughter is though.  I think that there are fights worth having and fights worth walking away from.  At this point, there's not much harm that con come from it.  As she gets older and is able to do other pageants, we'll talk to her and tell her what parts of the pageants make us uncomfortable then let her make up her own mind.  I guess you're going to have to decide if this is a fight worth having - and continuing - with your mom.  We've been having this fight for almost 10 years now...

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:21 PM

I don't have girls...but if I did they would NOT do pageants.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

bizkit_fanky
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:12 PM

dd has cheered, but I would say no to pageants

marisab
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:11 PM

if its naturala nd u get to lay down rule sfin ebut glitz is ove rkill

LindaClement
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:38 PM

I would never give permission for my kids to be taken to WATCH one of those, much less be involved.

If my mom wouldn't get off the idea, I'd certainly make sure she NEVER watched my children without me present. Someone with that little respect for my wishes for my child would never be in any position of authority with them.

You don't need to tell your mom anything --don't argue about it, and don't try to convince her that you're right. Whenever she brings it up, tip your head on one side like you're listening to something far away, with a confused look on your face, then change the subject to something you're willing to talk about.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN