Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

baby rash... advise

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:44 PM
  • 19 Replies
DD is 7months old, formula fed (medical reasons do not bash), and overall healthy. I noticed today she has diaper rash and I'm trying to determine regular rash from yeast.
She's very red, idk if its raised. She screams during changes and if I put her on my hip. It wasn't like this yesterday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this

At 7 mo, it could even be a reaction to food.  Keep a log if you're not sure.  I'd buy some monestat cream.  Bathe her, pat dry and let her stay without a diaper for a bit.  Put the cream only on one spot to see if that's it.  If you've never treated her for yeast before, call your doctor first. 

Swt7
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this
I applied petroleum jelly on my dd's rash,and i left the rash to cool by often changing the daipers~pampers to avoid over heating,though powder is not good to newborns,alittle of it can help keep the affected area dry.
This always works for me.
Clubpenguin
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Leave her diaper off and use triple paste
DaniandTom
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:01 AM
2 moms liked this

If you can, bathe her and leave her with no diaper for as long as possible. If you can't leave her with no diaper, change her frequently and fasten the diaper as loosely as possible around her legs so that air can get in there. If you can gently wash her with a baby wash instead of using wipes that would be best--avoiding rubbing the area. It should clear up in a couple of days.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Dry desitin on with a hair dryer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gem_mommie
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:03 AM

When my son gets rashes, he gets them out of the blue and just BAD. Very red and raw. First off - my favorite butt cream is actually prescribed from his pediatrician it's called "Greer's Goo" and it is AMAZING. I also love Desitin's regular formula but the goo does not burn or irritate when the rash is severe AT all.

I keep a package of Huggies Natural wipes on hand because they are sensitive so if I HAVE to wipe him when he has a rash, that's what I use and it makes a huge difference for his comfort level.

I agree with definitely keeping the diaper off - even if that means extra laundry and cleaning for you. I know it's a hassle, but it's so worth it. I used to wrap a receiving blanket around my daughter's butt kind of like a cloth diaper - sometimes I'd use two to thicken it up. The material is loose, it allows their skin to breath and it is SUPER soft so not to irritate. I'd keep her like that as long as possible and then just use a diaper when I felt like she may poop soon.

If you can bath her 2 - 3 times a day for 15-20 minutes each time...you put about 2 tablespoons of baking soda in luke warm water that is just high enough to cover her up to her hip/belly button area. Every infant is different so I'm not sure if she's sitting safely on her own or if you put her in a bath chair, etc...but just make sure that you fill the water to above her genital area so that it's soaking.

I'd stay away from vaseline/petroleum. That's usually better (in my experience) for like chapped/chaffing areas not sore rashed areas.

When you do change her, pat her dry and then let her air dry. The dryer her skin is before applying butt cream or wrapping her up, the better.

Good luck mama. ;)

gem_mommie
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Oh - I wanted to add...just keep her off your hip Mama. Kind of let her rest on your shoulder, cradle her in your arm under her knee area - hope that makes sense? It'll also allow you to tap her bottom w/your other hand which seems to really sooth young ones. :)

kali_mom
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:24 AM
I would reach out tot the advice nurse and see what they suggest. Of course diaper off as much as possible. I have been fortunate to have exp very few diaper rashes with my 5. My youngest did have one a fee months back and we did A&D ointment and plenty of time w/ out a diaper and it cleared up in a day or two at the most. Hang in there!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Any baby can get rashes, I breastfeed and my baby got a terrible diaper rash a few months ago. She just has sensitive skin. I used coconut oil on it and cleared up quickly.

marisab
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:25 PM

call the dr sound slike yeast so she may need something over counter..try a warm bath and ad ointment and/or olive oil alternating iyt works wonders

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN