Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I think it's time to get off the pacifier

Posted by   + Show Post

!5 month old son that can't be with out his pacifier, or his bottle. I've tried qivinq hima sippy cup but when he drinks out of it he lets the milk come down his chin!! He has a dentist appointment the 15th and last time his dentist said he wanted him off his bottles and paci on his next appt. Aqhh help plz!! nd i think hes qetting an over bite and hes not anywhere near to qiving them up:(

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Replies (11-20):
Acid
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:28 AM

I'd tell your dentist to fuck himself.

No doctor is going to tell me when to take my child off the paci.  He's only 15 months old.

When my children were ready....and only when I noticed they were ready...we let them take ther soothers to Build a Bear and they chose a stuffie and put their soother in it.  My oldest was 2 and my youngest was 3 and a bit.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:37 AM
1 mom liked this

My son rarely got a pacifier so he gave his up easily at 10 months.  We breastfeed so bottles were never introduced.  I would go cold turkey.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Is he on an orthodontic pacifier?  If not, switch.  Throw out the pacifiers and bottles...took a while for my son since he had them hidden all over the house...i still find them once in a while!

aarensmommy
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:36 AM

with my boys i took paci away around 2-2.5yrs..ds2 was very hard to break. i dont have much on the bottle both my boys were easy. dd who will be one on the 16th still has bottle n paci--im gunna try to get the bottle away next week or wean her off it really but she loves it to the point i give her a sippy she cries till i give her a bottle....

SpiritedMom2
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Thank you SO much for this - I really needed it - will try this for sure. My kid is 3 and wont give up the paci!

Quoting Retrokitty:

Have you tried the paci fairy?

x_Starr_x
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:27 AM
i nipped the tips off my kids so they would reject it instead of mommy taking it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
January1964
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Quoting Retrokitty:

"The Pacifier Fairy - How Does It Work?

The basic gist is that you tell your 2 year old about The Pacifier Fairy who comes at night to collect the big kid's pacifiers so she can give them to all the new babies in the world, and then leaves a present for the big kid.

Like this so far? Then follow these step by step instructions for how to do it:

One or two times, casually mention the story of the Paci Fairy to your child. Explain about the fairy, but don't make it personal to your child or your child's paci. Just talk about the existence of the fairy, so that when the time comes for the fairy to visit he or she will be familiar with the idea.

Do this betweeen 1 and 4 weeks before you actually take the pacifier away.

You start the process 3 nights before you actually take the paci away, and you tell your toddler on each of these 3 nights what is going to happen.

For example, on Sunday night you will explain that the Pacifier Fairy is coming in 3 days, on Wednesday night. Explain that they get to sleep with their paci tonight, tomorrow night and the next night, but on Wednesday night (or whatever day) the Pacifer Fairy is coming. Repeat how he or she will leave all his/her pacifiers for the fairy and the fairy will leave a toy.

Do the same thing for the second and third nights. For example, you will explain on Monday night how your toddler will get to sleep with his paci tonight and tomorrow night, but on Wednesday night the pacifer fairy is coming.

You get the idea.

On the third night, walk around the house with your child before bed collecting all the pacifiers together. Place them in a bag. Put the bag outside the front door. Follow your normal bedtime routine, give extra love and snuggles. Talk about how the Pacifier Fairy is coming tonight and will be leaving a toy.

In the morning, give your toddler lots of love and walk to the front door together. Open the door and discover the toy that the pacifer fairy left.

(Note: don't forget to replace the pacifiers with a toy before your toddler wakes up! The pacifer fairy is actually not a real fairy. Also, make sure you don't put the old pacifiers somewhere where your toddler will find them!)

Congratulations! I hope you find that it was actually easier then you expected it to be.

One final piece of advice is that it is really important for you to exhibit CONFIDENCE that your toddler will be okay without his/her pacifier. If you don't believe it yourself he/she will pick up on your anxiety and it will make it much harder for both of you."

Yes, I did this and it was a complete failure. DD had the paci for nap and bed only. When the fairy came and left the gift, she was screaming that the fairy should take back the gift, she didn't want it, she wanted the paci. She screamed and cried for two months every night until past midnight, no one was getting any sleep. It was like watching a drug addict suffer from withdrawal. I tried letting her cry it out, I stayed in the bed with her, I tried other kinds of bribes. It was a disaster. She's now 3 1/2 and still takes the paci for nap and bed. My husband gave it back. He put it back under the pillow and told her the paci fairy made a mistake because you weren't ready. I have never heard of a child not getting over the paci in more than a week. Everything on the Internet says "In 2 to 6 days, the child forgets about the pacifier." FML, as they say.

DarlaHood
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

This.  It really is this simple.

Quoting alexis_06:

if you dont want him having one...dont give him one...simple as that.  yes he will be cranky...but he will get over it. YOU just need to stick to it, and not give in!

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Cold turkey, no paci's. Easiest way. Not gonna get easier so do it now. We did sippys at 13 months. No bottles after that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mel0dy
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:10 PM

OP this could work with the bottle as well :) 

Quoting Retrokitty:

"The Pacifier Fairy - How Does It Work?

The basic gist is that you tell your 2 year old about The Pacifier Fairy who comes at night to collect the big kid's pacifiers so she can give them to all the new babies in the world, and then leaves a present for the big kid.

Like this so far? Then follow these step by step instructions for how to do it:

One or two times, casually mention the story of the Paci Fairy to your child. Explain about the fairy, but don't make it personal to your child or your child's paci. Just talk about the existence of the fairy, so that when the time comes for the fairy to visit he or she will be familiar with the idea.

Do this betweeen 1 and 4 weeks before you actually take the pacifier away.

You start the process 3 nights before you actually take the paci away, and you tell your toddler on each of these 3 nights what is going to happen.

For example, on Sunday night you will explain that the Pacifier Fairy is coming in 3 days, on Wednesday night. Explain that they get to sleep with their paci tonight, tomorrow night and the next night, but on Wednesday night (or whatever day) the Pacifer Fairy is coming. Repeat how he or she will leave all his/her pacifiers for the fairy and the fairy will leave a toy.

Do the same thing for the second and third nights. For example, you will explain on Monday night how your toddler will get to sleep with his paci tonight and tomorrow night, but on Wednesday night the pacifer fairy is coming.

You get the idea.

On the third night, walk around the house with your child before bed collecting all the pacifiers together. Place them in a bag. Put the bag outside the front door. Follow your normal bedtime routine, give extra love and snuggles. Talk about how the Pacifier Fairy is coming tonight and will be leaving a toy.

In the morning, give your toddler lots of love and walk to the front door together. Open the door and discover the toy that the pacifer fairy left.

(Note: don't forget to replace the pacifiers with a toy before your toddler wakes up! The pacifer fairy is actually not a real fairy. Also, make sure you don't put the old pacifiers somewhere where your toddler will find them!)

Congratulations! I hope you find that it was actually easier then you expected it to be.

One final piece of advice is that it is really important for you to exhibit CONFIDENCE that your toddler will be okay without his/her pacifier. If you don't believe it yourself he/she will pick up on your anxiety and it will make it much harder for both of you."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN