Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

back go your own bed!

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:16 AM
  • 6 Replies
My 2 1/2 yr old will not sleep in his own bed! When he was sick we had him sleep in our bed and ever since then he will not stay in his bed. I've tried putting him in his room and he cries and calls mommy like crazy. Lately when he's in our bed he will not settle down for and hour or so to go to sleep. Help! I don't know what to do!
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
AleaKat
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Sit in his room with him till he falls asleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Dream-lite. 
That is the answer to anything bedtime...LOL

My daughter has a dream-lite and she is only allowed to use it in her bed, in our room the lights are out and it is completely dark.
So she preferrs to sleep in her bed most of the time.  

Swt7
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:24 AM
I suggest you stay in his room till he falls asleep,he might be feeling insecure in his room and secure in your bed_around you.
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:55 PM

You have to let him cry, I know it's hard to listen to. Give him one of those stuffed toys that light up when you hug it maybe. In the morning tell him what a big boy he is for staying in his own bed, and do something fun together. He will be fine mama, don't cave or he'll be in your bed until he's 6 or older!

DarlaHood
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I know it is really difficult and frustrating, and everyone is tired.  I don't mean to trivialize the reality of this situation for you personally.  But this is a post that you will find in CM forums almost every day, and the reason for that is because it's normal!

Babies and toddlers are not always good sleepers.  They don't want to be alone in their beds.  They want to be with mom and dad.  You guys have each other, and he's out in the dark!  What kid wouldn't rather be cuddled and snuggled? 

You basically have a couple of choices.  You can either make it a power struggle and make him stay in his room by outlasting him and continually just putting him back there.  OR you can let him in your room to go to sleep. 

For me, I'm not big on power struggles.  I made a deal with my kids.  We can snuggle and you can go to sleep in my bed as long as you know that once you're asleep I'm going to put you back in your bed, and you have to agree to stay there.  We had a bedtime routine which included bath, reading, and backrubs, then we went to bed and I sang to them and stroked their faces.  They were asleep in 15 minutes, and I put them in their beds. 

Give him a little of what he wants and needs to get what you need.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Agree

Quoting DarlaHood:

I know it is really difficult and frustrating, and everyone is tired.  I don't mean to trivialize the reality of this situation for you personally.  But this is a post that you will find in CM forums almost every day, and the reason for that is because it's normal!

Babies and toddlers are not always good sleepers.  They don't want to be alone in their beds.  They want to be with mom and dad.  You guys have each other, and he's out in the dark!  What kid wouldn't rather be cuddled and snuggled? 

You basically have a couple of choices.  You can either make it a power struggle and make him stay in his room by outlasting him and continually just putting him back there.  OR you can let him in your room to go to sleep. 

For me, I'm not big on power struggles.  I made a deal with my kids.  We can snuggle and you can go to sleep in my bed as long as you know that once you're asleep I'm going to put you back in your bed, and you have to agree to stay there.  We had a bedtime routine which included bath, reading, and backrubs, then we went to bed and I sang to them and stroked their faces.  They were asleep in 15 minutes, and I put them in their beds. 

Give him a little of what he wants and needs to get what you need.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)