Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

RSVP

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:12 PM
  • 9 Replies
I have planned a birthday party for my daughter at a local indoor water park that is pretty expensive (I pre-bought a bunch of groupon deals for half off to make this possible) and there is one child's parent who has not RSVPd yet but my daughter keeps telling me the girl is saying she is coming. Because everyone else's parents have RSVPd I have their tickets covered at half off thru groupon. This water park is 50 miles away from where we all generally live, its two towns away, and a full price child's ticket is $20. My fear is this girl and her mom is just going to show up without RSVP-ing first and then I will be put on the spot and obligated to buy a full price ticket. After all they would have drove this 50 miles, expecting a bday party and admission to the water park, food cake, ect... If this mom shows up with her kid and puts me in this position I am going to be furious. If they show up w/o notice should I be like, "sorry you didn't confirm you were coming I don't have a ticket for your kid" (which I would say she is welcome to join the party but I am not buying a full price ticket last minute) and I would feel horrible for the child's sake because I'm sure she is excited to come, but it is so infuriatingly unacceptable to me if the mom would just show up w/o RSVP-ing. I sent a themed invite two weeks prior w/ RSVP info in it and then a follow up invite this week to ensure getting an RSVP from everyone. I even mentioned in the invite, "you're child's ticket is pre-bought, so please let me know either way if they can come". I feel like I made it very clear I need an RSVP. If they end up showing what should I do, what would you do?(and btw, the groupon deal is expired so I can't get another ticket half off anymore)
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

call and ask her if they are coming.

Babycakes2012
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:18 PM
I do not have her phone number, I have never met her or her kid
Bleacheddecay
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:18 PM

This and explain your situation as well. Btw, I'm happily shocked the rest of them have RSVP-ed! That's amazing these days.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

call and ask her if they are coming.

Babycakes2012
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Again, I do not have her phone number and I highly doubt, due to confidentiality reasons the school teacher could give me her moms phone number. I have also been telling my daughter to tell her friend her mom needs to call me to confirm they're coming or I won't have a ticket for her
sabrtooth1
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Quoting Babycakes2012: I do not have her phone number, I have never met her or her kid

I would not have invited kids I did not know, but that is water under the bridge.  Tell your dd, since she is the one communicating with this child, that she must have her mother call you EITHER way within 24 hours, or because she has NOT RSVP'd she is not included. 

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Call. Say your daughter said she says she is comingt and you want to confirm this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bleacheddecay
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Maybe you could look the number up in the phone book or online. Maybe the school has a directory? Our public school did.

huntersmama711
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Send a note in with your daughter for the mom. Tell your daughter to make sure her friend sticks it in her backpack. Also see if your daughter can get the phone number from her friend. Explain in the letter that you'd really like the friend to be at the party and will happily pay for her admission to the water park but you need to know ahead of time. Also let her know that if they show up without the RSVP she will have to purchase the ticket herself.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Babycakes2012
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:50 PM
I appreciate your suggestions, but NO one is actually answering my question of, what should I do or what would you do if on the day of the party they just show up without notice? I've done my part to be a responsible parent and host and I don't want to and shouldn't have to go out of my way and do a bunch of searching to be able to contact her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)