Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Meds and breastfeeding?

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:49 PM
  • 33 Replies
Has anyone taken prescription Zoloft while still breastfeeding their LO?

I have a severe anxiety problem and I'm extremely overwhelmed with my lo's. (I have a three-year-old and a 4-1/2 month old). The baby will not take bottles from me at all so weening her has not been going well.

The doctor and my pediatrician both said its ok to take, I just wanted to know if anyone else has taken it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I have not but i have known women who had to and their babies were fine.

kali_mom
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:13 PM
I have not but have read articles that indicate it is safe while breast feeding. Perhaps take into consideration the effects of you not feeling like yourself if you don't medicate vs the medications. Cont to research if you are still uncomfortable.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I haven't but if you feel like there is an effect, can you not take your meds after you have breastfed?  Also, an fyi here... Whatever the mother takes, drinks, eats, lasts for about 4 hours in her system.  So whatever you eat, drink, injest, just make sure you don't breast feed for that length of time.  If you have to, you may use formual once or twice in a day if breastfeeding is not possible. Or, you may pump the amount of milk out, to use during that 4 hour time frame.  Doing either while on meds should not be harmful to your breast milk.  Especially if, when you take a bath/shower, you can express some to keep up with the supply and demand.  It shouldn't change how much lets down in any given time period.   

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:30 PM
I would not but I wouldn't take any meds during pregnancy at all. Didn't breastfeed. If you took it during pregnancy what's the difference?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jag5782
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I didn't take it while I was pregnant.

Quoting atlmom2:

I would not but I wouldn't take any meds during pregnancy at all. Didn't breastfeed. If you took it during pregnancy what's the difference?

whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Ask your pharmacist.  Mine will take a few minutes to explain the science of taking particular meds.  Some are proven not to enter the breastmilk, others show no ill effects on the baby.  I was a nervous mom and preferred not to take meds while nursing because it caused more anxiety than the meds would help but that's just me.  My understanding is that anxiety while breastfeeding can cause a buildup of cortiosteriods (sp?) which is also not great for the baby.  The pharmacist should clear up any question.  Good luck! 

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:16 PM
2 moms liked this

This is incorrect information OP, please disregard. Zoloft is an L2, meaning it is very safe to use while breastfeeding. There is no need to wait any amount of time, use formula or pump and dump. Taking the Zoloft regularly will mean that is it constantly in your bloodstream and breastmilk so advice to take it after feeding and wait 4 hours until the next is ridiculous. Take the Zoloft and feel better mama! 

Quoting kirbymom:

I haven't but if you feel like there is an effect, can you not take your meds after you have breastfed?  Also, an fyi here... Whatever the mother takes, drinks, eats, lasts for about 4 hours in her system.  So whatever you eat, drink, injest, just make sure you don't breast feed for that length of time.  If you have to, you may use formual once or twice in a day if breastfeeding is not possible. Or, you may pump the amount of milk out, to use during that 4 hour time frame.  Doing either while on meds should not be harmful to your breast milk.  Especially if, when you take a bath/shower, you can express some to keep up with the supply and demand.  It shouldn't change how much lets down in any given time period.   

piwife
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Its safe to take zoloft while breastfeeding is an l2 drug. By the way lactmed is a great place to check for safe bf meds or kellymom.com
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Please op don't listen to this.. horrible info and advise

Quoting kirbymom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Wow. Thanks for the knock down.  But if you had read my post carefully, in the beginning I said "...if you feel like there is an effect...".  Also, I believe that I gave the same exact advice about formula and pumping and dumping. Just read both highlights.  

Quoting stepconfused182:

This is incorrect information OP, please disregard. Zoloft is an L2, meaning it is very safe to use while breastfeeding. There is no need to wait any amount of time, use formula or pump and dump. Taking the Zoloft regularly will mean that is it constantly in your bloodstream and breastmilk so advice to take it after feeding and wait 4 hours until the next is ridiculous. Take the Zoloft and feel better mama! 

Quoting kirbymom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)