Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

So my sons doctor said we can start him on solids... fruits, meats, vegetables, and oatmeal. Well I tried giving him some oatmeal rice cereal. Not quite sure how to feed it to him. I gave up after about 5 minutes. It seems like he just pushes the spoon back out of his mouth with his tongue. Not sure how to do this right.

Edit: So he's tongue pushing has stopped for the most part and I hadn't given him bananas the whole weekends and his poop returned to normal. I'm pretty sure the black poop and smell was the bananas. I'm thinking of giving him some carrots or sweet potatoes next.

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:31 PM
Replies (11-16):
Jag5782
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Umm... that's just silly.  My three-year-old started on rice cereal at 4 months.... she's in 95% for height and 30% for weight. My other daughter is almost 5 months old and she is in the 75% for height amd 8% for weight. 

You don't want to give him cereal that is the consistency of peanut butter, of course he would choke on that.  But, you give him watered down cereal almost the consistency of thick cough syrup so they can get used to it. 

Quoting sabrtooth1:

4 months old is way too young for solids. He does not have tongue control, and can choke. Plus he will become obese. He should be taking at least 24 ounces of formula a day.

Marimaru
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:46 PM

That tongue pushing thing is a reflex that basically means he's not ready.  When that reflex backs off you'll have an easier time feeding him.  Try again in a few weeks.  Or longer.  I wouldn't start solids on a 4 month old.

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:26 AM

He isn't ready if he is pushing the spoon and food back out. Wait a month and try again. 
Before at 1 they don't need solids for nurishment.  

LoveMommyhood12
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:34 AM

That's normal.  Remember - you're not really feeding him solids for nutrition right now. It's partially just to get him used to the texture and to eating something from a spoon. As someone else said, you're in no rush. I stuck with the oatmeal rice cereal for a while. I waited until 6 months to start fruits, meats, and veggies. And don't give up on one variety if he doesn't eat it the first time (once you start baby food). My LO would refuse something one week - then gobble it down the next.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:24 PM

It doesn't sound like he's ready. How old is he? The fact that he still has his tongue thrust is a huge indicator that you should back off.

I skipped cereals and purees. We went right to table foods once they could pick it up and feed themselves. I usually start trying between 7-10 months, and we never had any issues.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:11 PM

He is not ready if he pushing food back out. We introduce solids around 6 months. No cereal because it is garbage. Aap recommends 6 months and no cereal anyways. There is no rush for solids. My first was ready at 7 months. 2nd baby is only 3 months and still ebf. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN