Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I get her to drink by herself

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:07 AM
  • 22 Replies

I have a 19 month old girl. She was premi so she is a little behind on a couple things. Im getting really annoyed with her sippy cup. She can hold it she can drink out of it but she still holds it down and cant get anything so she hands it to me. When I give her things with a straw she tilts it up. Its driving me crazy and it is really annoying me. Any thoughts? I do have her hold it and I lift her arms but yea she isnt linking it together or she is being lazy.

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Don't hold it for her. If she has to, she will. Did she used to hold bottles?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittany208
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:25 AM

I would stick to either straw cups OR sippies instead of mixing them. My son couldn't use straw cups bc he would always hold them up. So we just got rid of them and only used sippies.

pinkyj619
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:26 AM

No she was nursed.

atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Most babies hold bottles sometime after 6months. I agree stick to one kind of sippies and she will figure it out for sure at 19 months.

Quoting pinkyj619:

No she was nursed.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Quote:

She can hold it she can drink out of it but she still holds it down and cant get anything so she hands it to me. 

Put her hands back on the sippy cup, guide it back to her mouth, and tell her to lift the cup while showing her how..after a couple days she should get the hang of it to where all you have to tell her is to lift the cup up..if after a month of trying, and no improvement with her, then i'd say there is a comprehension problem. 
singlemama0905
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:00 AM
My son did the same thing for a long time drove me crazy. Just stick to one mind of sippy and she'll figure it out
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ilana_ny
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Why didn't you buy her a deferent cup???
There are toddler cups with straws. I don't get it.
Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I didn't even use sippies. I just put a small amount of milk or water in a regular plastic cup and they learned to drink it themselves.

hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Have you physically shown her by drinking from the cups you self and explain how to while you are showing her? They don't always " get it" if no one clarifies by example.
EvilAsh
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Give it back to her when she hands it to you, tell her she needs to be a big girl and do it herself. As for the straw thing, my kids did that too. I think that's just a toddler thing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured