Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Frustrated with ex's lack of responsibility... how do I handle it?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:36 AM
  • 4 Replies

Last fall ex was sent new insurance cards, I have yet to get one for our kids (we have 5 together). I also have medical assistance for them but that is besides the point right now. A month later he gets a letter from his insurance company stating basically they want to know if the kids have any other forms of insurance.

In Spetember our 12yo DD slammed her hand in his car door & I took her to urgent care thenext night because she said she wasn't able to use it all day at school. I also took our 11yo DD who had been complaining of an ear infection. Turns out no broken hand, but slight ear infection. 

Then a week later our oldest, 16yo DS, was at an away soccer game & somehow managed to fall & bote through his lip. Ex was here at the time & went & got him & took him to urgent care where he got stiches in his lip.

Fast forward to November, I get bills for the ear infection & split lip stating his insurance was refusing to pay. This is when I find out that he was sent this letter about proving the kids had other insurance. He said he would take care of it, but never asked me for their PA medical cards. 

Then our oldest DD was being goofy around the house & went to jump over our computer chair & fell & twisted her ankle... turns out she actually broke it. Now I have a bill for her xrays!

At Christmas I took the kids to his mom's house & I asked him if he had sent in the paperwork because I was still getting bills. He admitted he had not. I went into his bedroom (he lives with his mom) & got the papers & filled them out myself & his mom made copies of the kids' cards to mail in with them. I also asked for the new cards to which he replied he didn't know where he had put them. Nothing really had changed other than the co-pay amounts. But that's not the point- I have been giving the doctor office the wrong insurance card because of his stupidity!

I took DS to the eye doctor at the beginning of Jan & the girls at the end. I now have a $10.00 co-pay bill for one of the girls- which I find odd because I was told that would be billed to their PA medical. I am not going to stress over that but the point is I shouldn't have had to worry about ANY of this if he had just given me the cards to begin with & turned in the darn paperwork when he should have!

Other than harrass him & eventually doing it myself, what should I do? I work M-F 8-5 when the insurance offices would be open. A) it's not my responibility to call- it's his, B) I don't have the time to do it, & C) since I am his EX they probably wouldn't talk to me anyway. He works fast food & often has days off during the week where he could call. His lazy excuse is he usually closes the day before his day off & doesn't get home til 4 or 5am. So he sleeps most of the day. I know, lame excuse because if the bills were in HIS name he certainly would be calling & making the calls so he didn't have to pay them!

How do I handle this?

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
CampClan
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:15 PM

BUMP!

MamiJaAyla
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:21 PM

you  may not like this answer but I would just call on my lunch and talk to them directly.  If they refuse to answer fine but at least you tried.

Ask them what you can do to make the situation better. 

Also I'd send ex. an email and/or certified letter requesting the id cards and giving the other info. etc. so that there is a record that you did it.

If nec. I'd get the damn papers and send them my self ... not b/c its Your responsiblit... you are right it is his but at this point you are the one paying for his job...

Last, I'd contemplate taking him the small claims court to get the $$ I end up shelling out.

MamiJaAyla
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Explanantion to the above:   "Is it more important to be right or happy" or in this case "right or go to the dr. w/o issues/bills?"

CampClan
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I get what you are saying. Last night I asked about the paperwork & he said he sent it in & is just waiting to hear back from them. The problem with calling on my lunch is who knows how long I could be on hold waiting on someone to answer the call?! I spent 30  minutes on hold one day (for another call I had to make) which is half my break! I didn't even have time to go grab something to eat! LOL

Quoting MamiJaAyla:

Explanantion to the above:   "Is it more important to be right or happy" or in this case "right or go to the dr. w/o issues/bills?"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN