Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Help! What does this mean? (tax related)

Posted by   + Show Post

When I checked my fiance's refund status this is what it said:

Has anyone ever gotten this message?

Does anyone know what this could mean or why he could of gotten this message? He did claim my 2 kids and our 1 kids together, so I'm thinking it could be something to do with that.

Thanks!

Take Action.

We have received your tax return and it is being reviewed. You will receive a notice from us requesting additional information within 30 calendar days. You may not receive all or part of your refund until we receive and review the information we requested. If you need more information after you receive our notice, call the number on the notice.

Please do not contact us until you have received the notice as we are unable to take any action until then.

Please read the following information related to your tax situation:
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Replies (11-20):
MissTacoBell
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:16 PM
H & R block has a propensity for screw ups...

Quoting offrdngal:

No.  I never heard anything about it.  We just did our taxes, at H&R Block and the lady never said anything.

Quoting MissTacoBell:

I thought the IRS washed its hands of which parent claims in what year?

Quoting offrdngal:

If he doesn't have custody of the kids, he must file a certain form, signed by the custodial parent, stating that custodial parent is not claiming the children for this year.  I forget which number form it is.  Go to the IRS website, you can find the form there.  If this is the issue, I'm sure they will send you a copy of the form.

Quoting NookBoookMom:

yeah this year they are double checking everything and since this is the 1st year he is claiming them, it may have come up as a red flag, this year since we have the educational credit , and it will take us longer to get our refund back, 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
offrdngal
by Terri on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I've never had an issue with them.  Jackson Hewitt screwed up our taxes one year.

Quoting MissTacoBell:

Quoting offrdngal:

No.  I never heard anything about it.  We just did our taxes, at H&R Block and the lady never said anything.

Quoting MissTacoBell:

Quoting offrdngal:

If he doesn't have custody of the kids, he must file a certain form, signed by the custodial parent, stating that custodial parent is not claiming the children for this year.  I forget which number form it is.  Go to the IRS website, you can find the form there.  If this is the issue, I'm sure they will send you a copy of the form.

Quoting NookBoookMom:

yeah this year they are double checking everything and since this is the 1st year he is claiming them, it may have come up as a red flag, this year since we have the educational credit , and it will take us longer to get our refund back, 

MissTacoBell
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:24 PM
That's why I do mine myself. If I screw up I know whose fault it is lol.

It's not hard really, just follow the instructions on your forms.

Quoting offrdngal:

I've never had an issue with them.  Jackson Hewitt screwed up our taxes one year.

Quoting MissTacoBell:

Quoting offrdngal:

Quoting MissTacoBell:

Quoting offrdngal:

Quoting NookBoookMom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
seashell0972
by New Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:28 PM

OMG me too, i am freaking out and do not know what it means!!

offrdngal
by Terri on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:34 PM

I prefer to do them myself, but this year we couldn't.  I might do them myself next year.

Quoting MissTacoBell:

That's why I do mine myself. If I screw up I know whose fault it is lol.

It's not hard really, just follow the instructions on your forms.

Quoting offrdngal:

Quoting MissTacoBell:

Quoting offrdngal:

Quoting MissTacoBell:

Quoting offrdngal:

Quoting NookBoookMom:

mommmy3x
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Hopefully we will get it straight. I'm almost positive that mine is about my kids though. I hope they send whatever they are gonna send soon. Knowing the irs I will probably get it on day 30 though. UGHH! Good luck!!!! 

Quoting seashell0972:

OMG me too, i am freaking out and do not know what it means!!

CampClan
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I don't think the IRS "knows" who get to claim the kids what years if there is a court order- it's the parents' responsibility to be honest. They will however get a red flag if you try to claim someone that the other parent has already claimed. In my personal situation, when ex & I separated years ago we agreed he claims 2 & I claim 2 & we kept claiming the same 2 every year. And every year I had to sign a form stating I would not try to claim them for the previous year, the current year, or the following year. Now that we are divorced it went into our papers that way so I don't have to sign that form anymore because I legally can not even try to claim them.

Quoting offrdngal:

Quoting MissTacoBell:

Quoting offrdngal:

Quoting NookBoookMom:

hplesha
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Did you ever figure out what it meant? Mine showed up with this today
mommmy3x
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:39 AM

We haven't got the letter from the IRS yet, but I'm pretty sure that it has something to do with the EIC because he got all of his refund the other day except the EIC. This is his first year claiming our son.

Quoting hplesha:

hplesha
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Hmm.. interesting. We have claimed both or kids last year and have had no issues. We already got our home heating credit. Normally we got that last.

Quoting mommmy3x:

We haven't got the letter from the IRS yet, but I'm pretty sure that it has something to do with the EIC because he got all of his refund the other day except the EIC. This is his first year claiming our son.

Quoting hplesha:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)