Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

potty training advice.

Posted by   + Show Post

When is to early to start potty training? I have a 14 month old son who seems interested in the potty. I babysit and a few of the children use the potty. He will go and put the potty chair on the toilet and then want to sit on it. He as peeped in the toilet a few times now. If i ask him if he wants to try and go potty he walks to the bathroom and puts the chair on.  I know potty training can be very stressful and i want to make it as easy as i can for him. Should i start really trying potty training?

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Replies (11-18):
Thelmama
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Go with it if he is interested.

lnr187
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:06 PM

he sounds ready. i always say don't discourage it! being that he's so young, he might regress a few times over the next 2 years, but it's no different than if you hadn't started in the first place, ya know? i potty trained ss at 20 mo. he regressed twice but each time was only for a month or less. being that you have other kids around who are potty trained, he may never regress! if he's already peed in the toilet, go for it! (it'll save you a FORTUNE in diapers! lol)

lnr187
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:07 PM

also because he's so young, he probably won't have much muscle control so he will still need diapers overnight for awhile.

DarlaHood
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:11 PM

If he is interested, go with his interest as long as it's fun.  Just don't push or get frustrated in front of him, and know that he may do well, regress, and do well again.  it might be quick and easy, or it might be an unsteady journey.

kirahush
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Do it! Do it! Do it!!! As soon as babes show interest, go for it! My friends used cloth diapers with their kids but left the potty just hanging around. All of their kids were potty trained before 2yrs old. GO FOR IT!!!

lkadash
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Thanks everyone! we have been doing great for the last 2 days! every time i put him on the potty he went. HE is so funny he like makes himself go pee once he sits on the potty. He does not pull down his pants yet but we are starting slow. I am going to wait just a few more weeks before i let him wear undies. Just to see how everything goes. We made a potty chart and every time he goes he gets to put a sticker on it. After he gets 5 stickers he gets to pick a prize. I bought a whole bunch of stuff he can chose from. I know this might only last a few weeks and thats fine. Im ready to do this at his pace. He is very independent and wants to do everything himself lol so hopefully he will get this down soon. thanks again for all the advice!good

LindaClement
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:10 PM

It's too early before the child can identify the feeling of fullness, hold on (the bladder no longer reflexively empties as soon as it's full) and communicate the need for the toilet in sufficient time to get there.

If he's exploring it himself, it's fine --but it's unlikely to result in anything like routine dryness at this age.

LoreleiSieja
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:50 PM

It is too early to potty train when a child is not yet ready for it. Here are the ready signs:

1) child wakes up dry most of the time from nap and in the morning.

2) child can say the words "I have to go potty" "I have to go poo" or whatever words you wish him to use.

3) child can pull down his own pants and jeans, and pull them back up again

If you wait until he is really ready - like 2 1/2 or 3, then toilet training may only take a few days.  If you start too young, you will have some success, a lot of accidents, some stress, and you may actually delay the whole process.  Wait.  He is interested now, because he is interested in everything.  But he is not physically able to hold his urnine flow until he makes it to the potty.  If you train him before he can hold it, you are setting him up for frustration and failure.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)