Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My son (almost 5) went to the optometrist yesterday and his glasses should be in next week. I don't know much about caring for glasses. So, if your children have glasses what are the rules for taking care of their glasses?

Oh and because I think he's ridiculously adorable...

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:26 PM
Replies (11-20):
steffielou_who
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:26 AM

Get a hard case and a cleaning cloth! My ds came with both! Here are his! He actually had some and dropped them in the driveway! They got run over...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GirlWithANikon
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:30 AM
1 mom liked this

When funds allow get a back up pair even if they are cheap and ugly. I got glasses at his age. Once a ball broke them (blind), one I dropped them in the school potty off my face (idk why i was looking over the potty) and my dumb self didnt want to fish them out my pee so I flushed them (blind) , once my dog jumped on and pawed me in the face (blind) and still to this day I will take them off and even though I have a case a specific spot to put them I sometimes get sidetracked or take them off quickly for something or to protect them and put them down and well, I need glasses (or DH) to find my glasses.

He does look good in them though.

SciFiMama91
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:29 AM
I did get the warranty for them. If I didn't his lenses are 200 a piece to replace. I'll be saving up to get him a backup pair(particularly one in his favorite color) after we have his follow-up exam. They didn't have any in our price range that were kid proof. Luckily he's usually a pretty gentle child when it comes to important things. Hardest part will likely be he falls a lot and usually on his face.

Quoting tricia1332:

My son has had glasses for 3 years now.

first thing if you didn't buy the protection insurance you might want to see if you can add it now.  But if you got the 2 pair deal it might be ok.

my son is now 11 and usually goes through 2 pair last year though he went through 4! Sports and stuff

start teaching him where to put his glasses up. Glass side up so they don't scratch or put them in the case.

if he needs them cleaned you might want to be the one to do that though he is still kind of young and can bend them or break them.

oh did you get the kind that are bendable and kid proof?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SciFiMama91
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Oh he looks so handsome in those. They didn't say if his came with but if not we'll be picking up one the same day.

Was it hard to get him to keep them on?

Quoting steffielou_who:

Get a hard case and a cleaning cloth! My ds came with both! Here are his! He actually had some and dropped them in the driveway! They got run over...

steffielou_who
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:32 PM
No way! He was so excited! Lol

Quoting SciFiMama91:

Oh he looks so handsome in those. They didn't say if his came with but if not we'll be picking up one the same day.

Quoting steffielou_who:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SciFiMama91
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Hopefully Shawn will be the same way.

Quoting steffielou_who:

No way! He was so excited! Lol

Quoting SciFiMama91:

Quoting steffielou_who:

hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Teach him never to chew the arms! It's a bad habit many glasses wearers get into and damage the arms to the point of having to replace them way more often. My two and half year old has worn them since 15 months . We just make sure they are off when he is rough housing as he still uses his face to climb, lol!
TwinMomma122304
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Get a back-up pair!!!!!

My dd has had them since she was 5 (she's 8 now).  And we've been thankful for the back-up pair twice now, lol.  They're little kids, the glasses will get scratched and banged up, but work with him on treating them with care.  When they come in, the people at the eyeglass place who fit them on him can help with that.  I know when dd had hers fitted, the lady showed her how to put them on and take them off, and how to take care of them.

tricia1332
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:34 PM

If you have an America's best you can get two pair for $80.  You can also get the prescription from your eye dr and shop around for a pair of glasses. 

Quoting SciFiMama91:

I did get the warranty for them. If I didn't his lenses are 200 a piece to replace. I'll be saving up to get him a backup pair(particularly one in his favorite color) after we have his follow-up exam. They didn't have any in our price range that were kid proof. Luckily he's usually a pretty gentle child when it comes to important things. Hardest part will likely be he falls a lot and usually on his face.

Quoting tricia1332:

My son has had glasses for 3 years now.

first thing if you didn't buy the protection insurance you might want to see if you can add it now.  But if you got the 2 pair deal it might be ok.

my son is now 11 and usually goes through 2 pair last year though he went through 4! Sports and stuff

start teaching him where to put his glasses up. Glass side up so they don't scratch or put them in the case.

if he needs them cleaned you might want to be the one to do that though he is still kind of young and can bend them or break them.

oh did you get the kind that are bendable and kid proof?

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Get those puppies insured so that if they break or get lost, you can get them replaced for no cost.  You might want to get a 2nd back up pair from an online discount eyewear place.  Just get the rx from your optomitrist (they have to give you the rx by law).  I bought a single vision pair for myself and paid $32 for them. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN