Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty training at a year old?

Posted by   + Show Post

So my mom has always told me that I was potty trained before a year old and then when my brothers were born (they were preemie twins) a week before I turned one I went back to wanting to only use diapers. I have tried to figure out over and over again how my mom could have possibly potty trained me so early. I just don't see how it happens...My youngest is 9 months old and I could actually see her walking soon (my sis and my boyfriend both walked at 9 months) but I just don't see her using the potty by a year. I'd love to be able to potty train that soon, but I'm not sure if you'd do it the same as with a toddler? I'm not necessarily going to try this as I think every kid is different, but I'm curious if anyone else has tried this early or known of someone who was potty trained this early.

I assume that if I took her to the potty and set her on it a little bit after every meal and as soon as she gets up and right before bed, maybe she'd get it eventually, like the way she figured out crawling to her highchair and making noise tells me she wants food. But even if she got that she could go potty in the potty chair, like crawling over to it, I don't see a child that young caring too much to go use a potty...or at that age do you just always have to take her and sit her on the potty herself? I don't see her sitting still long enough to do the deed and the fact is, she would constantly try to play with her poo and pee as she was going or right after..Maybe if she gets a banana/rice snack (those mum mum things, last awhile and she loves them) each time she'd do it?

Just curious what other people think about this and if anyone has done it or known of someone who has. Thanks.

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:25 PM
Replies (11-16):
stargazerwolf
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Oh I think she'd laugh if I started grunting, she's silly and loves to make noises and have us copy her and then copies back lol. I'm going to introduce her to it and see how it goes. I really wanted to cloth diaper, boyfriend wasn't a big fan of the idea, but I'm probably goint to try to get a few with tax money, especially if she decides to wait til normal time to get potty trained. Thanks! :)

Quoting JKronrod:

You do need to make sure that the baby is happy with it.  Thomas thought it was all a great joke -- he would grunt and laugh.  If the baby isn't happy, though, I'd wait for the "regular" time to train.  Good luck!

P.S. -- I should add that we used exclusively cloth diapers.  That may make a difference.

Quoting stargazerwolf:

That's kind of what I was thinking of trying too. Just holding her on the potty when I notice she's getting ready to poo. That would save some diapers for sure lol. That must have been nice for you! That would definatly be good enough for me :)

Quoting JKronrod:

I don't know that it's really possible to "train" a child to use the potty, but I will tell you that with our last one, when he was maybe six months old (?) -- well under a year at any rate, I noticed that he was clearly intending to poop.  So, not wanting to have a messy diaper to change, I peeled of the diaper and held him sitting over the edge of the toilet.  He made grunting noises, so I made grunting noises. He thought this was funny, and into the toilet it went. 

Anyway, the next day, at around the same time, I peeled off the diaper, sat him over the toilet, said "Poop!" and made grunting noises at him.  He made grunting noises, and into the potty it went.  We increased the number of times a day (he was breast-feed so there was a lot of poop)  This went on, to the point that I was changing very few stinky diapers. 

While the timing is a bit foggy, I know for a fact that when he was nine months old when I put him on the potty and told him to "poop" he would make grunting noises and would usually poop, since our au pair arrived almost exactly nine months after he was born and was amazed when I showed him the baby's "trick" -- and I was not taking him (that baby, that is, not the au pair) in at just at one time (or set times) of the day. 

Now, experts will tell you that this is not  truly potty training, and that's fine.  But it certainly was nice not to have to change poopy diapers, and it was pretty clear that the baby understood that he was supposed to try to move certain muscles when he was put on the toilet and told to "poop." 

stargazerwolf
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Ya, I know how to do it with toddlers, my older daughter was about 15/16 months when she first showed interest in it, but then with my divorce from her dad and us moving around a bit before settling and me being a single mom working crazy hard, it got intterupted and it was right before 3 she finally got trained. I just wasn't sure how to do it with a very young one for sure. I'll definatly take it slow with her, I'm not even sure she will sit on the potty, she'll get little snacks for sitting on it though, her rice/banana things. I definatly agree that potty training should always be positive and letting the kid kind of take control, no forcing :)

Quoting mamalusbear:

My little guy is 14 months old and I put his little potty out in the open for him to explore.  It took a few months, but he's finally curious and is sitting on it.  Also, when we use the restroom we explain to him what we're doing, and we let him flush the toilet.  Just taking it slow at his own pace.  He comes around a little at a time, we never force him to do anything he doesn't want to....we want potty training to be a positive experience.

GrammaJane46
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:54 PM

My first daughter was using the potty for bowel movements at the age of 6 months.  My pediatrician just laughed and said, "Mommy is trained, not baby."

doulala
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:57 PM

EC is for those earliest months, so yes sure!
:-)

bpryce
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:50 AM

I saw you said something about cloth diapers...i began using them when my ds was 14months. If your not sure about them and would like to just try some I recommend sunbabydiapers.com they are pockets which are easy to use and you can add as much absorbency as you like to a pocket. the sunbaby diapers are about $5 a piece. 

atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:59 AM
Mom is trained, not the child. Impossible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured