Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has Anyone Rented-to-Owned?

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:10 AM
  • 7 Replies

If so, how did you find that house?  There are a lot of sites out there that make you pay to see their listings...and I'm not going to do that.  

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ceciliam
by Cecilia on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I haven't but the best way to find the type of property you are looking for, is to contact a local real estate agent. They will have info on any rent to own properties.

JacksonGirl
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Call a real estate agent most do charge a fee but I believe with a rental even rent to own the landlord/seller is the one to pay that fee. You shouldn't have to pay anyone to look at a house.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ambermario4ever
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Look on zillow.com they show all kinds of properties but rent to own are hard to come by because they go fast. 

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Quoting ceciliam:

I haven't but the best way to find the type of property you are looking for, is to contact a local real estate agent. They will have info on any rent to own properties.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
strangeyfine
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Deffinetly contact a real estate agent. If they charge you to see a rental DO NOT use them. Also, be extremely careful about rent-to-own. If you find one, be sure to hire a real estate lawyer to draw up the contract because they are very tricky and often prey on people in desperate situations. Many times if you are late on your rent even once they can claim that you are in breech of contract, which basically means that anything you have already paid is no longer counted towards the purchase price. Gl.

emmy526
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:16 AM

yes, and we got royally screwed in the end too...it's not something i recommend.  After living in a house that was supposed to be rent to own, after 4yrs, the owner didnt' want to wait for us to buy it so she sold it out from under us, AFTER we paid her 40,000$ in rent and a deducted down payment and,  she wanted FULL market price without considering we already paid her 40,000$!  The house needed major repairs, thousands of dollars worth of work, but we were willing to do them, as long as we owned the house first.  I'm not putting new windows in a house that isn't mine.  

mmccrea
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Wow!  How terrible!  I'm sorry to hear that happened.  Thank you for sharing your story, I will definitely have to be on my toes and not let anything slip into the contract or anything.  

Quoting emmy526:

yes, and we got royally screwed in the end too...it's not something i recommend.  After living in a house that was supposed to be rent to own, after 4yrs, the owner didnt' want to wait for us to buy it so she sold it out from under us, AFTER we paid her 40,000$ in rent and a deducted down payment and,  she wanted FULL market price without considering we already paid her 40,000$!  The house needed major repairs, thousands of dollars worth of work, but we were willing to do them, as long as we owned the house first.  I'm not putting new windows in a house that isn't mine.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)