Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to Tell if Your Toddler Isn't Ready for Preschool - Have you ever wondered if your child is really ready for preschool?

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:11 PM
  • 6 Replies
1 mom liked this

How to Tell if Your Toddler Isn't Ready for Preschool

Posted by Adriana Velez

play doughOne minute you're holding your newborn baby, next thing you know, your little one is already 3 years old! Time to sign up for preschool. Time for dress-up, play dough, sandboxes, snack time, and singing in circle time. Yay!

But wait -- maybe you think your toddler is ready for preschool. But is he, really? Is the preschool ready for her? Better think this through a bit, first. Here are some signs your toddler might not be so ready for preschool after all.

More from The Stir: First Day of School: Starting Off on the Right Foot (PHOTOS)

1. When you ask your toddler, "Show Mommy your knee!" he bites you on the knee.

2. Whenever you introduce your kid to anther child, the first thing he says is "MINE!" and tries to tear the kid's hair off her head.

3. Your child only knows one word: NO.

4. You haven't been able to wrest your kid's security blanket out of her hands long enough to wash out the E. coli, snot, vomit, dirt, and chocolate pudding and it's been declared a bio-hazard by the local health department.

5. You're down to just eight tantrums a day -- hooray! That's still not low enough.

6. Your kid will only nap after 15 renditions of "The Mermaid Cafe" in five different languages, exactly three tablespoons of strawberry yogurt, two trips to the potty, and the sight of your exasperated tears.

7. Your child's food allergies list is longer than the novel War and Peace.

8. You have a really picky eater: He only eats other kids' food.

9. Your child knows all the words to "This Is the Song That Never Ends" and has been singing it since October.

10. Your child takes an ideological stand against learning letters and numbers.

Does any of this sound familiar? I dunno, that might mean you need to wait a bit before unleashing your child up on the public. But hey, I'm not judging! Just looking out for those intrepid preschool teachers.

Have you ever wondered if your child is really ready for preschool?

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MJP76
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:50 PM

None of my kids attended pre-school.

Leissaintexas
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:45 PM

A child acting like this at 3 lacks discipline. But that's beside the point. Preschool is completely unnecessary. Kids are being forced to grow up way too fast instead of being allowed to be little. Even 5 is too young in my opinion for school. Kindergarten has only been mandatory in most states since the 80's. Before that kids didn't start school till nearly 7.

teddysmama09
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:57 PM

where I live elementary school starts at 4 (or 3 if your childs birthday is before Jan 1). Its known as Junior Kindergarten and its part of the public school board. Its all day, every day. At first i was a little shocked (I'm not from here origionally, so I had no idea about this until someone told me I'll have to register my son for September). I have started prepairing my son by going to a morning play group at least three days a week which has circle time, snack time and crafts.

At first I was against it, 3 seemed far to young to be going to school, but the more i see my son progress in the playgroup the more at ease I feel that JK will actually be good for him. My son is extremely extroverted but well behaved (for other people anyway!), plus he loves to learn. JK is mostly play focused and it actually seems like a lot of fun.

I should add that I was a preschool teacher so i know first hand their benefits.

-PB
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:15 PM

I'm confused by #7...Kids with allergies can't go to preschool?  And what does one do?  You can't make allergies go away.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Preschool is awesome! My son loved it and had so much fun. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

mom4awesomekids
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:25 PM
My girls are in early intervention preschool die to their special needs.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured