Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

mothers with boys. Wild Rambunctious young boys. did i raise a brat?!! lol

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:53 PM
  • 10 Replies
My first Born DS is 5 going on 6 next month. He's been the only child until Dec 2012 when we had our 2nd DS. We've always kept on a routine, schedule, lots of love, lots of praise and disciplining. We've raised our boy with having manners and respect for others. But seems he's always been a bit rebellious. His teacher says he's got a big heart and soul and is a great leader :-)
I call it bossy but whatever, lol. Is it the age or being first born or maybe hanging around adults his whole life. He's very bossy and its so annoying. Hes mr. Know it all. Hes smart but he needs to remember hes 5 and not an adult. No matter how many times hes been told, had consequences forspeaking rudely, he still is a bossy little know it all that corrects everybody and tells them what to do.
Is this normal for his age? And were constantly telling him to settle down or sit down and relax. Hes so wild and constantly tests us. maybe hes acting out for attention since he has to now share it with the baby.
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissTacoBell
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:57 PM
He's not a brat. He's acting out because of baby. My ds did the same thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
missamanda86
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:58 PM

lol that sounds like my 5 year old dd. ds is 3 and is following closely in her footsteps...lord help us all lol

danichaos
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:59 PM
My ds is exactly like this. It's just his particular personality and while it may be annoying, it's just how he is. In time he will learn to choose his words wisely.. But for now he doesn't understand how it's rude
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:00 PM
My son is this way. It's his personality. I can't change it and just embrace it.
andersongirl562
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:02 PM
I have two boys that are wild and rough at times. But I think that's completely normal as long as they know when its appropriate and when its not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyHarper
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Tell him that its fine to express his opinion and to speak up if he thinks that what something that someone else said was wrong, but he needs to do it in a polite way, teach him the proper way to word it, and he needs to be able to admit when he was wrong and to let it go when it really doesn't matter.

elzingah36
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:09 PM
I have 3 sons. Their older now 21,15,&13,but at the age of 5...no,they weren't like that at all. They where "bossy" with each other but they didn't have that "know it all" attitude with teachers or adults in general. Once in awhile if they got "Lippy" with me or their father or even grandparents they'd get a punishment and then life would move on.
It sounds like a possible mix of both. Being that there's a new bird in the nest and a little bit of "brat". Whatever it is that your using for punishment sounds like it's not working so well. What discipline methods have you used?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GELiz
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:28 PM

It sounds like he has a LOT of energy and a quick wit. Very smart chldren are just plain annoying to some adults because they do not understand how the other people feel always being told what to do or that they are wrong. It is time to do some instruction about how to say things. Also- he is only 5, but is confident and curious and well, very smart. When they are five and the first one, they see themselves as equals to adults- they do not understand. Many intellectually gifted children are absolutely AMAZED by what they know, because they do not understand how they know it. The do not trust the adults knowlege and they trust their own more. You will have to help him to understand other people, because they will not be able to understand him.  Have fun- I had three very gifted kids and they are all smarter than me. But as little children, they all tested me bc they thought they were smarter.

hplesha
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:34 PM
My oldest is about to be 8 and is wild and crazy. He has a TON of energy. He can't sit still without moving something. He's very good in school and gets very good marks. He is very smart and is higher in reading than most the kids in his class. I'm hoping once we move and he can actually run around without having to disturb my neighbors, he will act different and calm down. My aunt said her son didn't calm down until he was 9. I got one year left...
mrsjksimmons
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I'm in the same boat as you. My son will be 6 at the end of the year and he is an absolute energizer bunny. He is wild, hyper, and bossy as all get out. I'm not sure if it's normal or not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)