Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

not sure what to do anymore with dd

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:34 PM
  • 36 Replies

Hi all

Last night i let my 13yo dd have a friend spend the night.I had a feeling that they were going to sneak out so i put tape on outside of door to see if they did.Sure did i was right.Also lately i been hearing bad rumor about her from my other dd that's 15yo.Not sure what do you with her anymore. The only i can think is take away everything and ground her not sure how long but i am very upset.

any advice would be wonderful.

Thanks,Lisa

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frankiesma530
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:41 PM
I don`t know. My dd is only 5. I would say grounding and taking away priveleges is a goos start though. And that friend would not be staying over anymore. I hope you find a solution.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emarin77
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:42 PM
2 moms liked this

First have a discussion with her about why you are upset.  Ask her why she likes to run away from the house. Sounds like something is missing in her life.  Tell her the consequences if she runs away.  If she behaves after a certain amount of time have a positive reinforcement for her and let her pick it.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Wow, young to be doing this. I never snuck out ever. What is she doing and where is she going? Get an alarm system. Major consequences. She would not have a life the next couple months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MJP76
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Depends on how far you want to take it.

my grandfather, nailed all windows shut, and put a padlock on all the chains on the doors in the house. If you don't have a chain, add an extra lock that only uses a key that you have possession of.

BabyBearsMom608
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:27 PM

talk to her first - tell her you just want to listen . Listen and then react the next day calmly. Maybe take her to a womens shelter and tour a jail or something to show her what happens when girls dont listen to their mommas!  Show her videos or documentaries of abducted young women. Maybe it will make her think twice!

marisab
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:23 AM

watching this post for a friend her 13 year old girl is starting to sneak out with boys etc

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Have you tried talking to her?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
edieda
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

You need to sit her down and have a long talk with her, something tells me that this is not something that just happened over night, but rather as a consequence of other things going on in your family/household. I also would not allow any more sleep overs and she would not be allowed to go to any sleep overs at anyone's home. At 13 she could be also hanging around with the wrong crowd at school etc. How well do you know her friends and their parents ?  You have to make a start somewhere, and that somewhere is by talking, observing and taking the necessary action, even going to counseling if that is what is needed.

DaniandTom
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Oh now there's a good idea if there's a fire! DO NOT do this! It's foolish!!

Quoting MJP76:

my grandfather, nailed all windows shut, and put a padlock on all the chains on the doors in the house. If you don't have a chain, add an extra lock that only uses a key that you have possession of.

If you can afford it at all, get her into counseling. She has something going on in her life that she's rebelling against you for. Chances are, you're not going to be able to figure it out on your own. Get help. Family counseling and individual for her would be best.

MJP76
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:43 AM

LOL yeah.. But it sure in the hell made it difficult for me to sneak out...I wouldn't personally do this.. This is just how my grandfather kept me from sneaking out. LOL

Quoting DaniandTom:

Oh now there's a good idea if there's a fire! DO NOT do this! It's foolish!!

Quoting MJP76:

If you can afford it at all, get her into counseling. She has something going on in her life that she's rebelling against you for. Chances are, you're not going to be able to figure it out on your own. Get help. Family counseling and individual for her would be best.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)