Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Car Seats PIOG

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:29 PM
  • 9 Replies

Alright, so I never post on here, but I'm having a car seat issue and need some advice where my google research is lacking.

My son just turned 2 on December 15th, but he is a BIG BOY. He is 40 inches tall and 40lbs. He looks like a 4 year old. He is currently in a convertable car seat that is stretched TO THE MAX, and has been for a while. I feel terrible because every time I buckle him in he points to it and goes "Owwwie Mommy! Too tight!". In doing research it seems like the next step is a high back booster seat, but I just don't think I'm comfortable with that just yet. We're also working on a budget here as I am a single parent, so I need something safe, that will last a while, and is affordable (I won't skimp on my child's safety though, so if you have a good suggestion that is on the pricey side please still feel free to throw that out there). Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

ETA: We currently have the Cosco Scenera Convertible Car Seat.

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
young-mommy10
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Have you checked out the graco nautilus? It is a little pricy (about 130ish if you can catch on sale), but it is worth the money in that it converts all the way til the end stages a child needs. 5point harness carseat, then converts to high back booster, then regular booster. My son turned 2 dec 8, and is also a big boy, he's a little smaller than your son, but not by much and this carseat is perfect! He loves it, I love it. Worth looking at! Good luck mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
prp2014
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I would reccomend the Graco Nautilus for your son. It will last a long time because it goes up to 65 lbs. It is 129$ at walmart. Here is the link: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Graco-Nautilus-3in1-Car-Bravo/8112222

Or you might like the Evenflo Maestro that goes up to 50 lbs and 50 in. It is http://www.walmart.com/ip/Evenflo-Maestro-Combination-Booster-Car-Seat-Keller/19414739

Both these seats also turn into boosters once your child is older and outgrows the harness.

Mommy2z9011
by New Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Thank you both very much! I really like the Evenflo Maestro one! I had looked at the Graco Nautilus, and although I like how it converts, the upward slant of the seat when it is in "5 point harness mode" is also a part of the issue as my son has SUPER long legs, and they rub up against the back of the passenger seat. Poor kid is too darn big for his own good. The Evenflo one looks flatter though, so I'll have to take a look in-store. Thanks again!

squeakers2
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I would also look into the SecureKid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
young-mommy10
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:12 PM
The graco has a "reclining" part so you can tip it flat, that's how we have to have ours

Quoting Mommy2z9011:

Thank you both very much! I really like the Evenflo Maestro one! I had looked at the Graco Nautilus, and although I like how it converts, the upward slant of the seat when it is in "5 point harness mode" is also a part of the issue as my son has SUPER long legs, and they rub up against the back of the passenger seat. Poor kid is too darn big for his own good. The Evenflo one looks flatter though, so I'll have to take a look in-store. Thanks again!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kylie819
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Quoting squeakers2:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:13 PM

This is what we have for my daughter turning 4 in 6 days.  Her back up seat is about to be an Evenflo Maestro to go into my mom's van.  She is nowhere near the minimum of 40 pounds to be in a booster so both seats will be used in harnessed mode.

Quoting squeakers2:

Kris_PBG
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:14 PM
I would recommend the evenflo secure kid or harmony defender, as they will last longer than the maestro.
erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:43 PM
The Maestro has a short shell....waste money for tall kids. We have the Frontier 85 SICT and absolutely love it. Highest harness and weight limits and when its time ro HBB it has been on the IIHS best bet lust 4 years straight
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)