Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Flu shot and still getting sick

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:08 PM
  • 10 Replies

Got the flu shot a month ago when in the hospital after having my son but I am so sick now I can't see it being anything else. I don't remember ever feeling so horrible it's actually a lil scary. It will be very upset to find out its the flu because I was so against getting the shot but did it so I wouldn't get sick so I wouldn't pass it onto my son but i still had to send him to my moms today so he doesn't catch whatever this is..anyone else get the flu shot and still ended up with the flu?

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crazy4u49033
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this
The flu shot only prevents against certain strains. So, yes, it is possible that you have the flu. You could also have another nasty virus.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Shot is 60% effective.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MJP76
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Yeah, we have never gotten the flu shot we are a natural immunity type of family. My mother gets the flu shot every year and it makes her sick.

kittyfaery
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:13 PM
The flu shot doesn't protect against every flu strain that goes around. They kind try to predict what strains of the virus will go around but can't know for sure.
Mrsfarr
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:14 PM
The only people I've ever known to have the flu had a flu shot... So I've never gotten one. The last time my husband had one, he was sick as a dog for a week.
Hope you feel better soon.
Drewsmom8
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:18 PM

This will definitely be the last time I'll ever get the flu shot..not worth it in my opinion

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Yes we have so we quit getting that particular shot.  You better get checked out to see if you have influenza or another nasty virus.   If you are nursing your son, you pass on the natural immunities while your body creates them.

CrazyLife1996
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:23 PM
We never get the flu shot.

My daughter's boyfriend tested positive for a strain of the flu that hasn't been identified yet.
SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:24 PM

I got a flu shot along with 90% of the people I work with. Mos tof us have gotten the flu. We had the shot in November. The week before Christmas, the week of and the week after half the staff was out for 1-2 weeks. Now the other half is getting sick. I was out for over a week and told NOT to come in for any reason! My DH went and got my check that week!.

MMerrill
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Unfortuantely it only protects you up to about 60% because there is no possible way to know which strand will be around each year.  They just go by last years and hope it will protect.  I still get the flu shot and hope I'm a part of that 60% that is protected and we still practice very frequent hand washing and keeping things sanitized so we don't get sick.

Sorry you aren't feeling good, you should go to the doctor and get some Tamiflu :(

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN