Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dicsipline advice....

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:24 PM
  • 16 Replies

I am looking for some sort of dicsipline for my ds who will be four in February. Time outs are not really working. I can't take toys away because he is not really attached enough to anything.  Any ideas are appreciated.

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:25 PM

How do you do a time out?   What sorts of things are you trying ot avoid with him? 

lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:31 PM
1 mom liked this

make him a most awesome chart. focus on good behavior. Make columns of the behaviors he needs to change.give him stickers when he succeeds. Let him trade the stickers for prizes.

mnjenta
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:34 PM

He does time outs in his room. I realize his room probably is not the best time out.  When he first started doing time outs thats just where I put him. Unfortunatly at that time I did not feel like I had the patience to make him stay in a different time out. Any advice on other time out ideas is great.

I'm trying to avoid having to continually tell him to stop doing things he shouldn't.

Quoting frndlyfn:

How do you do a time out?   What sorts of things are you trying ot avoid with him? 

MJP76
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:38 PM

So.. I'm pretty old school, but how about a swat on the butt accompanied by a time out. Old school time out, standing in the corner.. He's 4, so 4 minutes.

mnjenta
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:39 PM

I am really trying to focus on good behavior. I do good for awhile then kinda slip back to focusing on the bad again. I just need to drill it into my head. The chart is a great idea. I'm sure he would enjoy it. Thanks for the advice.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

make him a most awesome chart. focus on good behavior. Make columns of the behaviors he needs to change.give him stickers when he succeeds. Let him trade the stickers for prizes.

mghtymffn
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I have my son stand in a corner in our dining room, he is not allowed to talk, move or play.....................this works very well for us............I think putting your son in his room is counterproductive.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:47 PM

You can do a combo of time outs and positive reinforcement.   DD seems to do better with marbles in a jar rather than a chart.  We do the chart at home and the marbles in jar her class does is how i know which she does better with.

For time outs he would get one warning ' You need to listen to mommy or you will go into time out " , then walk him to a spot remaining calm the whole time.  You place him in the spot and once again tell him why he is there.  You walk away.  if he gets up , you walk him back.  Once he stays in one spot the time is 1 minutes per age.  When the time out is done, you once again explain why he was there and tel him he needs to apologize and give a hug.

For the positive reinforcement  jar, they get one marble or rock per good choice they make.  If they misbehave and make bad choices, they lose the marble.

You may want to write oout the family rules and post them somewhere visible.  Underneat the rules, put consequences so that he can see it.

mnjenta
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:48 PM

I feel like my son would NEVER stand in a corner quietly. I'm sure with some time and patience it will work.

Thanks for the advice.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:52 PM

It will not be an instant fix and could take a few days to a few weeks but consistency will show him mommy is in charge and the time outs will help with impulse control and the not listening first time to when you speak.

Quoting mnjenta:

I feel like my son would NEVER stand in a corner quietly. I'm sure with some time and patience it will work.

Thanks for the advice.

mnjenta
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:54 PM

He has always had time outs in his room, but I think he needs to learn the corner time out. Thanks for the advice:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)