Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! Congestion! ~ Or 'how do I get over my fear of the bulb syringe?'

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:50 PM
  • 24 Replies

My baby girl has had a cold for over a week now and she really seems miserable sometimes. I have one of the bulb syringes that the doctors recommend using but I'm really afraid of using it.

She's stuffed up all the time and coughs once in a while... it really does seem like she's having some trouble breathing sometimes - particularly at night when she's trying to sleep. I thought that you should only use the syringe if something is visible to extract, but I either see nothing at all up the tiny little pinholes that are her newborn nostrils (usually the case) or there's just some crusty boogies easily grabbed around the outside (once in a while) 

I don't know if I should use the syringe or not and, if so, how... I fear somehow harming her with it (one probably largely unfounded fear is worrying over "sucking out her brains" ... what is wrong with me? -.-)

Does anyone else have trouble using this weird tool?

Any ideas on how I can help her feel better?

All help is appreciated, thank you!

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:54 PM
2 moms liked this

We never used it with dd.  The germs those things harbor is so gross.  Try sitting with her in a steamy bathroom and then use a damp wash cloth to gently wipe her nose.

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:59 PM
2 moms liked this

I actually think they work pretty well, clean it with some 50/50 hydrogen peroxide and water when you're done. Don't be scared mama!

SouthTxPrincess
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this
They work wonderfully but they HATE it!! Even if they jerk you it won't get shoved up their nose cause it only fits so far and its soft. I used to be scared too but now I have to straddle my 17 month old and hold her head still to use so I don't use it much. Also saline drops or spray really helps loosen up sticky mucus. Just make sure you clean it after every use with something like pp said or viniger and water.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MMerrill
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:58 PM

My son has really bad reflux so we use it in his nose and mouth all the time, that's what they taught us in the NICU...and for the record if you wash them after every use like your are supposed to, they don't get that nasty on the inside.  It'll be ok :)

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, what are you worried about?... That her face will cave in? ;-p

Infant saline drops will help you and babe , first of all. A quick squirt in each nostril helps loosen dried mucus and moisturize, then hold her chin ( they don't like this) and as quick as you can, squeeze the bulb and let go on both sides. A humidifier near babe's sleeping area will help you both.
A humidifier is pretty much required baby equipment .

Good luck! I promise, all important parts will stay in their place.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MissTacoBell
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:05 PM
I lol'd at sucking out her brains.

The worst you can do is give her a bloody nose. You avoid that by only sucking once per nostril unless you get a large amount of gunk then you can do it twice but no more. Don't dig deep. Put it in just far enough that it covers the nostril and suck.

Don't worry no brains. Though saline might help loosen what's stuck deep in the sinus. Don't go nuts though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pink.Frosting
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Lol, that's actually a very handy item.  Yes, the baby will hate it but babies hate everything like that - clipping nails, clean out their ears, wiping their nose, etc.  But it will help so much!  Just go ahead and do it momma!  It's for the best!

piwife
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:35 PM
I try not to use it as much.. the mold that can be found in those is gross. So I use it as a last resort. The do have ones now that you can unscrew the top and clean it. I had one but can't find it :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Scribbleprints
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Mold can grow inside those, unless you get on that has a removable tip so you can clean out the inside better.

But then, if you're little one is having trouble breathing because o junk in her nose, than thats a more pressing concern.  I always had my husband hold the baby while I did it, or vice versus...if he was available.  Otherwise, I'd swaddle the baby first.

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I had a bulb syringe and used it once. After that it sat in the drawer until I finally tossed it. I saw a news segment just last week that took a bulb syringe apart and showed the gook and molds in the bulb. I don't think I would use one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured