Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I need help trying to figure out if my 5 year old daughter may have high blood sugar problems?

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:52 PM
  • 38 Replies

Once a week my daughter goes to her nanas house. They feed her anything she wants. ANYTHING. So lots of sugar. She has come home a few times voommitting like tonight :( when she comes home from there she's angry, mean, hurtful, aggravated, and just plain ignorant. They will go to the store before she comes and get orange sodas, Pepsi, candy bars, cookies, desserts. You name it. Pancakes for morning to top off all the other things she's had. Would this be ANY relation to her blood sugars? Now at home WHEN I do let her have sugar she acts weird. But for the most part no sugar in my house. They've been doing this for years. She's five and her diaper is soaked in the morning bc she can't get out of bed to go to the potty . It's just really bothering me what all this could be. Please tell me what you think or your experience.

Worried mama

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I would talk to her doctor very seriously about getting tested for blood sugar.  Anyone who binges on all that sugar would get sick.  It is not healthy to go back and forth from that horrible food choice.  I would be fine with the pancakes for breakfast and maybe one soda a day.  I would tell nana no more visits until they can get on same page as you for healthier foods.

Ravishing_dame
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:59 PM

It sounds like too much sugar.  There are high amount of sugar even in simple things like milk too.  So combining that sugar with normal eatin, can surely bring on the vomiting and such.  This sugar can really get in the way of vital nutrients and vitams that can control concentration, mood and physical abilities. 

doulala
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:02 PM
1 mom liked this

That would cause a problem in anyone, right?!
It is important to consider how toxic that is, and also the food colorings.    Many of us are not able to handle these dangerous chemicals.      You can say a sugar-free, gluten free diet IF she goes over there.
If they don't want to offer her health & safety then avoiding that setting might be preferred.

bellawomen
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow.  That is incredibly unhealthy and harmful.  It definitely is something to be looked at.

You say she is 5 and in diapers.  Does she have other health problems or is she a bet wetter?  Is there a family history of blood sugar disorders (not that there needs to be for her to have one)?

lovegrandbaby
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Her pediatrician should be able to test her for high sugar and/or allergies to certain foods.  Her nana should know better, especially if you have had a discussion about it.  She should respect you enough to compromise.

piwife
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't allow her to go to nana's house anymore. Sweets are k but limited
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aslen
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Well, other than the.agitation, what other symptoms are there? Excessive thirst? Sweet smelling urine?
And ffs if you've been so.worried, how in the fuck can u send your child there??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aslen
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Also, type 1 diabetes has nothing to do with diet.
But nana is setting her up for type 2
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:16 PM

My child would not one going. Period.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

fullofhope1
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:16 PM

We've had disucussions for years about it. I love them but ..... seriously... they hidden this from us before. they even started her on cerels as a baby when i specicially said I wanted to be first to do it and for them NOT to do it. We found it hidden in their house. I'm just extremely upset. She has been so out of control emotionally tonight and came home from there today that I'm emotionally drained now. She's trying to sleep now. I'm definitely have my aunt bring over my gpas sugar testing kit tomorrow. What should her level be when she wakes up in the morning?

Thanks!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN