Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Horrible wrist pain

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:53 PM
  • 25 Replies

So I have this terrible wrist pain. I started having wrist problems when my now almost 5 year old was just a baby, when she started chunking up at like maybe 6 months old, lifting her started bothering my wrists (she wasn't really that big though) it wasn't too bad when I quit carrying her as much when she started walking (around 13 months) and then I was fine for quite some time. Then when I started working as a bather (bathing dogs) I could tell I was going to have some issues, my wrists started hurting a bit brushing so many dogs because it is repetitive of course. My back has always had issues because I have scoliosis (curve in the spine where it shouldn't be) but I never knew if this had to do with my hurting too. My back definatly started hurting after working as a bather, bending, kneeling, lifting dogs etc. Then when I moved up to grooming dogs I gradually got more pain, shaving big dogs especially because it takes a long time and is the same motion.

As a mobile groomer things got twice as bad because I was working completely by myself lifting dogs that weighed as much as I did, grooming a lot of dogs and bad shape and grooming huge dogs, some of the big ones I'd have to use my whole body to push up on him to get him in the tub. I was always in so much pain all the time, but mostly just tried to get over it. My right wrist especially was really starting to bother me, I got a brace from walmart but a nice one, and had to take a couple days off work after this massive Great Pyrenees/Old English Sheepdog mix killed my arms because he refused to get in the tub even between me and his owner pushing and pulling him. When I tried to do it myself my right arm literally felt like the radius bone was trying to snap and poke through my arm. I had to give up on that dog, I'm a small person at 4'10" and this dog weighed as much as I did almost.

Eventually I had to quit work anyway because work started to slow down and I was paying so much for the 2 kids in daycare that I barely made enough to have anything left. I think my boss cut it back on purpose. That was back in the begining of November. I have been staying at home with the girls because it makes more sense financially. Even since then I still have some major wrist pain and I thought it'd go away. Now that my second daughter is 9 months old she is getting a bit heavier (though only almost 17 lbs) and just a little weight gain in her makes it hurt my wrists to pick her up.

Now I know I probably have carpal tunnel syndrom, but I feel like it is also something else. When I have wrist pain, especially since that incident with the huge dog I get the pain from my right wrist, on the back of my hand, up in the radius bone area that was hurting (up towards the elbow but not in the elbow) and sometimes even up into my upper arm, should and shoulder blade. I know I need to get to a chiropractor which I plan to do with tax money, but I'm curious if anyone has heard of something like this?

I don't think carpal tunnel usually goes up the whole arm, my mom has it to a degree too (she was a secretary for a while so lots of typing). I really don't want to end up having surgery, my right wrist is much worse than my left, but the left still gets sharp pains just like the right when I try to open a jar, lift my baby, or lean on my wrists. I can't do push ups or anything that puts pressure on my wrists and sometimes simple motions hurt them as well. As I type this I have to wear a brace on my right wrist as I just got done cleaning both bathrooms and the scrubbing of counters, mirrors and toilets killed my wrists. Sometimes it feels like they need to be "popped" and I rotate them and they snap but don't feel any better. On a side note I do have very tiny wrists.

Ideas? Thoughts? Did anyone have something like this and didn't have to have surgery? As soon as I get tax money I'm going to call the chiropractor and set something up, I think I may have to go in on a regular basis, but I'm also afraid that when I do go back to work I won't be able to groom anymore and it is such a passion of mine that would greatly upset me :( It's the whole reason I moved 2 1/2 hours away from my family and I worked so hard to become a groomer and I'm and excellent groomer (according to almost all my clients I had and other long time groomers). If I go back to work when my almost 5 year old starts school (if I don't homeschool) I will likely have to start out part time, but I would be in a salon with people to help me lift big dogs. Help if you can, thanks!

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsApple
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Actually,carpal tunnel syndrome can go up the entire arm.It's not limited to the hand or wrist.

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:13 PM

I had tendonitis in my right wrist. I went to an orthopedic surgeon who did x-rays, recommended PT, and had me wear a wrist brace at night only- since to wear it all the time would weaken the muscles. The wrist was fine then. Sometimes I still have flareups, but I put the brace on a couple nights and do some wrist stretches and in a week all is well again. My experience doesn't sound as serious as yours though.

stargazerwolf
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Thanks, I had never heard of it going up into the arm and shoulder, however since you said that I just looked it up and WebMD also says that. I am afraid I have a severe case at this point...hopefully a chiropractor can help, but I need to get some insurance so I can go to an actual doc, it says hypothyroidism can make it worse too and with other things that have been going on sometimes I've wondered if I have that too...I can't seem to loose weight no matter what I do, I'm tired quite often,get a lot of muscle cramps (sometimes just twitches), have dry skin, I have memory problems, trouble concentrating and even have gone through some depression on and off when I first started staying home. I just looked at those symptoms when I found out hypothyroidism could be related to carpal tunnel. Weird huh?

Momforhealth
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:58 PM
I was told once to massage your forearm on the inside of the arm.. Wont hurt to try. ... Maybe ice/heat.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stargazerwolf
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Ya I think it is more than tendonitits. It is better when I wear my brace, but I also make sure I take it off throughout the day so my wrists don't get weaker. I wear it at night when my wrists have been bothering me. I do often wake at night with my hands numb, I do tend to sleep on my arm or hands sometimes though, but they seem to get numbe at night regardless. I really need to get one for my left wrist too...

Quoting Bmat:

I had tendonitis in my right wrist. I went to an orthopedic surgeon who did x-rays, recommended PT, and had me wear a wrist brace at night only- since to wear it all the time would weaken the muscles. The wrist was fine then. Sometimes I still have flareups, but I put the brace on a couple nights and do some wrist stretches and in a week all is well again. My experience doesn't sound as serious as yours though.

stargazerwolf
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:09 PM

I try massaging them all the time, my wrist, fingers, up my arm, shoulder, everything, but since both wrists hurt it is actually hard on the wrist I'm using to massage too. I have tried ice and heat at different times, sometimes help, but usually doesn't. Even ibuprofen and asprin don't help, alchohol does though lol. I once sat up late because my wrist hurt so bad I couldn't sleep, I finally drank a very strong drink and it felt all better and I slept.

Quoting Momforhealth:

I was told once to massage your forearm on the inside of the arm.. Wont hurt to try. ... Maybe ice/heat.

LeetjieJ
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Hard to tell. With Carpal Tunnel though, there is typically a sensation of pins and needles in the fingers, and a loss of fine motor ability. CTS does not improve when you stop doing a particular activity, it is there all the time - & will often wake you at night. It is really best to have a professional assess it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
marisab
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:35 AM

see the dr

LoreleiSieja
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:44 AM

There are several possibilities for your pain, and they might not require surgery.  My first guess is that this is chiropractic in nature, and not carpel tunnel.  

When the back is out of alignment, then the nerves to the arms, legs, and organs can get pinched, causing pain.  It's possible that the pain in your wrists starts with a misaligned vertabrae in your spine.  Since it's been going on for a long time, though, just seeking chiropractic help may not fix everything.  You may need to combine chiropractic with massage therapy, to loosen the stiff muscles. 

Carpel tunnel is caused by repetitive motion - like typing on a computer.  The carpel tunnel gets irritated and inflamed, pinching nerves.  The pain gets stronger and stronger, and can cause paralysis if left untreated.  Again, I'd try chiropractice and massage therapy for this BEFORE resorting to surgery.

The final cause can be arthritis.  Even though you are young, you could be suffering arthritis in your wrists, brought on by an injury.  I had to have arthroscopic surgery on my thumb, following an avulsion fracture to the thumb that went undiagnosed for six months.  I'm sorry I had the surgery, because a nerve was damaged, and I have constant sensation there - like my thumb "went to sleep" - that pins and needles feeling you get when the blood starts to circulate again.  But I had to have the surgery.  I saw a chiropractor often during those six months, before the avulsion fracture was diagnosed (I'd had it xrayed, but it didn't show up) and I was no longer able to lift a coffee cup. The surgery fixed that.

Carpel tunnel can be eased with rest - if you get some wrist splints and wear them to bed, it may help.  I'd strongly urge you to start with a good chiropractor and massage therapist, for about six months... then see about surgery if that doesn't fix things.

http://raisingcreativechildren.com/nail-biting/

frstldyhmsch
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:28 PM

The nerve that is affected in carpal tunnel syndrome stretches up the arm and into the neck. I would suggest seeing a Dr to get some temporary relief and invest in a wrist brace to support your wrist during work and home chores. Also, some people have gotten surgery, but it came back because they still use the same muscles all the time. You may want to look into proper techniques while doing your line of work, because most of the time it's how you're holding the wrist & resting the arm that makes a huge difference! Trust me, I have been diagnosed with carpal tunnel from being in the pharmacy field for years! Never had surgery, has wrist brace (w/metal) for certain tasks and preforms massage therapy on myself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured