Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

C-SECTION?! AN EASIER WAY

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:53 PM
  • 109 Replies
Is getting a c-section easier than a natural birth..
I'm getting really nervous about what's going to happen the day I give birth.

What's he worst part about natural birth
And what's the worst part about c-sections
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
doulala
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Well "easier" is like saying "better"  --these are personal and subjective.     Not healthier and safer in most situations.     They can be more convenient and that can make them "easier" (or "better").

Why are you nervous?
If you want to aim for health and safety & have a healthy pregnancy we can help!
:-)

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

AmiJanell
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I think natural birth would be much easier... I went through the whole labor process with my son down to the pushing... and ended up with a c-section anyway. The labor was painful... I can't say anything for how it feels to give birth that way or the recovery...

But I feel like I missed out with my c-sections... I didn't see either of them being born, although I was awake both times... I feel sad I didn't get to SEE them be born. And the recovery SUCKS... my first wasn't horrible at first, I felt pretty good... but then i ended up with a uterine infection and that was more painful than labor ever was, it was HORRIBLE.  The second time I didn't have an infection but my incision hurt SOOOOO bad, I was shocked at how much more painful it was than my first... and my recovery was much slower.

It might seem easier to have a c-section... but with labor and pushing the pain has an end and it has a purpose... to give birth!  But with a C-section the pain is afterwards and I think can really get in the way of bonding.

StacyO722
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this

They are different. Natural birth with or without drugs has a much shorter recovery time. You can be out of the hospital in 1-3 days. With c-section you can be in the hospital for up to 5 days or longer if there are more complications

With a natural birth unless you tear, you won't have any stitches. With c-section the cut you open.

The pain of labor sucks. The pain after a c-section really sucks

Mind you, I had an emergency c-section with my 1st and am having an elective c-section this next time. I wish my 1st birth experiance went differently, but it is what it is.

Every woman has a different experiance with birth. Some handle the pain better than others, some have a quicker labor than others, some are not so good. It's something you are going to have to go through, so don't stress yourself about it.

If this is your 1st and there is no medical reason for it, don't do a c-section. Usually Drs won't allow an elective one unless it is medically necessary.

Good luck Mama :)

marla1984
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:07 PM
that i would like to know from other moms too. im due on May and my mom told me it would be better to have a natural birth than c-section. she said c-section is painful after the anesthesia fades off and you cant carry anything heavy except your pillow.
justahousewife
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:08 PM
My first was natural, no issues. My second was emergency c-section, it hurts like b.tch. I would much rather go natural.
jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:13 PM
5 moms liked this

I have never had a vaginal birth.  NOT for lack of trying, though.  I do NOT recommend c-sections.  And my c-sections were "easy" compared to some of the stories I have heard.  C-sections are MAJOR abdominal surgery, no matter which way you spin it.  They should NOT be elective.  And any decent doctor will not do them like that (without prior c-sections).

Generally speaking, your recovery time with a c-section is WAY longer.  You can't get up and move around on your own.  Ya know, the main thing you need to be able to do in order to take care of your newborn.  You have a HUGE incision in your abdomen that has to heal.  Inside AND out.  It is HEALTHIER for the baby to be born vaginally.  There are muscles in the vagina that help the baby expel all the fluids from his/her lungs when they are born.  There are generally less drugs in the system of a baby who is born vaginally.  They're more alert, making their APGAR scores better.  Not to say that CAN'T happen with a c-section baby.  If I was able to have a vaginal birth, I would choose that any day over my c-sections.

stargazerwolf
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this

A c-section is quicker for sure, but recovery is worse than a vaginal birth. I had a c-section with my first but a vaginal with my second. I'm not sure if you fully mean "natural" as in no drugs or anything or if you just mean vaginal. I hated that I couldn't get right up after the csectioin, i was in bed for a whole day and they had to bring her to me to feed and such and I still had to have a catheter and iv which i hated. After the vaginal birth I got up within 30 minutes to pee and before giving birth already had everything but the iv out, the ive came out I believe after awhile of giving birth. After the csection it sucked getting in and out of bed, the staples pulled a little, even after they were removed I couldn't bend or twist hardly. I also couldn't sleep on my stomach after the csection and that is the most comfortable way to sleep for me. Vaginal birth I did have 2nd degree tear and it hurt to sit directly down, but otherwise was totally comfortable. I felt totally myself almost right away with the vag birth and felt not myself for a few weeks after the csection.

If I hadnt pushed her out so hard and fast I'm sure I wouldn't have torn and would have had an even smoother recovery. I was in labor for 18 1/2 hours with the vag. birth but most of the time was comfortable (had an epidural), then I just knew when I was ready to push and it didn't take that long from then. The csection I labored for 12 hours before they decided to do a csection, so still felt contractions, then the csection was quick. So while a csection may be a heck of a lot quicker to get baby out it is more risky and the recovery is a lot worse, especially if you like to have your independance right away. So there you have it from someone who has had both a csection and a vaginal birth, I hope to have a totally natural vaginal birth next time.

beadingmom17
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:14 PM
3 moms liked this
As someone who has had 2 c-sections, I always want to V8 style bop someone when they think about having MAJOR SURGERY over doing what their body was designed to do. It's painful, they are cutting into you, moving organs around, and pulling your kid out. Then you get sewn shut inside and outside (or stapled or glued). You risk infection, you will be sore, you may have a hard time just moving around, you may sometimes look at your baby and cry along with them because you know they need you but you're in pain.

C-sections have their place, but they should be a last resort.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StacyO722
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:15 PM

It is painful, but they dope you up pretty good...lol. It's major abdominal surgery, there are a lot of layers to go through to get the baby out. I wasn't able to lay flat afterwards, it hurt too badly.

I think the weight restriction is like 10lbs, I was able to lift my baby and she was almost 9.

Like I said in a previous reply, unless you have a medical reason to do a c-section especially with your 1st child, try for a vaginal birth. And don't be too worried, you'll get through it :)

Quoting marla1984:

that i would like to know from other moms too. im due on May and my mom told me it would be better to have a natural birth than c-section. she said c-section is painful after the anesthesia fades off and you cant carry anything heavy except your pillow.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I've had both a c section and an unmedicated vbac. The actual birth was easier during the c-section but much more frightening. There's no comparison on recovery. My c section was a week in the hospital then 6 more weeks of recovery at home. I felt useless. I could barely get up to care for my newborn son.
My unmedicated vbac was amazing. Painful but the minute she was born was pure bliss. Sore for a couple of days but I cooked dinner and cleaned the house when she was 3 days old no problem.
For me the couple of hours of truly intense pain (transition) was far better than the 7 weeks of pain that kept me from living.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN