Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms
Is getting a c-section easier than a natural birth..
I'm getting really nervous about what's going to happen the day I give birth.

What's he worst part about natural birth
And what's the worst part about c-sections
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Replies (71-80):
FrumpyMama
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this

You have to do what is best for the baby. Natural childbirth is best for the baby in non-emergency situations.  The roughest things about natural childbirth are: being somewhere that is not supportive of natural childbirth and the last few pushes before you hold your baby. 

C-sections are there for emergency situations and carry severe risks during, while healing and for future pregnancies.  The risks can include: popped stitches, severe infection (that could be antibiotic resistant), limited number of future pregnancies, as well as placenta implantment issues. 

aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I can't compare the two because I've only had a C section. From what I've heard other people who have had both say is that C section is an easier birth but more difficult recovery.

Marimaru
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:07 PM

I've done both and don't feel any differently bonded to my daughters.  

My first was scheduled due to her being breech.  The surgery was easy enough, and my daughter never left the room I was in, except for a couple of minutes where they wheeled her to my recovery room before me, and my husband was with her.  My recovery went well, but it still hurt.  I have stairs at home, so that was hard.  Also, when I started working out with a trainer over a year later, my inscision area hurt a lot because it was moving in ways it hadn't before.  

My second was VBAC, and while I tore, the recovery was still a lot easier.  Nursing in the beginning was easier too, I will say.

Quoting DlovesM:

Having a scheduled c section and skipping labor all together means missing out on the labor pain, but you loose some bonding and you definitely get your share of pain for the next 4-8 days. I would much rather have labor pains for a day then being barely able to move for the next week when I got a baby to take care of. I was in labor for 30 hours before I had a C section and this time I couldn't find a doctor to let me do a vbac so I'll be going in for a scheduled in 6 weeks =[

DlovesM
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:51 PM

I was just referring to the study that when you go through natural labor you're body releases a number of hormones and some of those hormones trigger the instinctual love for your baby. Just the hormonal part, not the loving your baby part. 

Quoting Marimaru:

I've done both and don't feel any differently bonded to my daughters.  

My first was scheduled due to her being breech.  The surgery was easy enough, and my daughter never left the room I was in, except for a couple of minutes where they wheeled her to my recovery room before me, and my husband was with her.  My recovery went well, but it still hurt.  I have stairs at home, so that was hard.  Also, when I started working out with a trainer over a year later, my inscision area hurt a lot because it was moving in ways it hadn't before.  

My second was VBAC, and while I tore, the recovery was still a lot easier.  Nursing in the beginning was easier too, I will say.

Quoting DlovesM:

Having a scheduled c section and skipping labor all together means missing out on the labor pain, but you loose some bonding and you definitely get your share of pain for the next 4-8 days. I would much rather have labor pains for a day then being barely able to move for the next week when I got a baby to take care of. I was in labor for 30 hours before I had a C section and this time I couldn't find a doctor to let me do a vbac so I'll be going in for a scheduled in 6 weeks =[

DlovesM
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:52 PM

I was just referring to the study that when you go through natural labor you're body releases a number of hormones and some of those hormones trigger the instinctual love for your baby. Just the hormonal part, not that you'll love your baby any less. 

Quoting Mama2JoshKatie:

I had two c-sections and never missed out on any bonding with my babies.

Quoting DlovesM:

HotMichMomma
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Natural is the only way I'd even get pregnant again. I've had 2 energy c sections, the last one, I felt everything down to them cauterizing my vessels
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MMerrill
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:11 PM
1 mom liked this

This!  Everyone is different, but birth is what our bodies are made for and a c-section is major abdominal surgery and the risks are obviously way higher for a surgery.  C-sections do have their place, but I don't think anyone in the right mind would ever want one over a regular birth!  At least in my experience...

Quoting beadingmom17:

As someone who has had 2 c-sections, I always want to V8 style bop someone when they think about having MAJOR SURGERY over doing what their body was designed to do. It's painful, they are cutting into you, moving organs around, and pulling your kid out. Then you get sewn shut inside and outside (or stapled or glued). You risk infection, you will be sore, you may have a hard time just moving around, you may sometimes look at your baby and cry along with them because you know they need you but you're in pain.

C-sections have their place, but they should be a last resort.

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

alimorgan
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:52 PM

what are you missing? Honestly? your baby screaming or sleeping in the nursery while you rest?, I missed nothing I saw all of mine being pulled out and cleaned up and crying I saw them take their apgars and I held each of the 3 of mine after everything, I had no issues nursing any of them, each one of my c-sections was a very different experiance. I tried natural child birth but after 16 hours and no pregression 9 hours of that and a baby that had already gone to the bathroom I was happy to have a c-section. I have no regrets.  To this mother your doctor will not give the option unless he or she feels there is an issue.  

As much as i would love to do it one more time i value my life more, durring my last c-section i was told I was lucky it was scheduled my uterus could have burst if I had labored and I would have died and they may or may not have been able to save my daughter. So I would never speak ill of a c-section no matter what happened durring or after, recovery can be rough especial for a first time mom. I have had friends who didn't know they were in labor a lil bit of pain , arrival at the hospital and being told they were crowning and a baby with in 5 minutes. My one friend delivered inthe hall on the way to the delivery room. She actually did this with each of her 3 children . 

Quoting joyfullem:

have you had a natural birth to compare that to?  I have had both and with the c-section you lose out on a minimum of an  hour while you are in recovery and baby cannot be there with you. Sometimes more where as with vaginal you do not have to let baby out of your sight unless there is a life threatening problem

Quoting Mama2JoshKatie:

I had two c-sections and never missed out on any bonding with my babies.

Quoting DlovesM:

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:40 AM

I wouldn't have a c-section if it wasn't absolutely necessary to save the life of mom and/or the baby.

I would however, get an epidural or a spinal. 

I had all c-sections, so I couldn't offer an opinion on which is "easier". 

To me the c-section was kinda 'easy' as I did nothing. 

wedding countdown

kbeeck
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:23 AM

The worst part about all natural birth is you feel everything. I got a epidural and I'm glad I did because my son's head came out side ways and he ripped me on both sides. The worst part about c-section is it's major surgery so it takes a lot longer to heal and your not supposed to lift very much afterwards for awhile. So someone is going to have to bring the baby to you for feedings. If you have a lot of help that could work, if not it's only going to frustrate you because you won't feel like doing much. Plus it depends what happens that day, you may not have a choice in the matter. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)