Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My daughter has lice again

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:54 PM
  • 56 Replies

i am so sick of this I could scream. She caught lice about 3 weeks ago. I gave her a lice treatments and a mayo treatment, then a week later gave her anotrher lice treatment and washed everything in her roomin hot water, put the stuffed animals away, all but the deamlights and it looks like we did not get rid of it all the way, because tonight I noticed she was itching her head again and sure enough i see lice in her hair. Had lice shampoo leftover over used it again and she is at her dads tomorrow night so i texted him that he should give her a mayo treatment . Here i go again having to wash everything and I'll vacuum tomorrow. I am so sick of this I could scream. I need to put something in her hair as a deterrent is it tea tree oil that is used? also does the robi comb for lice work? Her hair is sort of long and she is going to be soo mad if we cut it but she hardly ever puts it back or up so the lice are more attracted to longer hair and I have no choice but to get her a good trim. i'm so frustrated. The school is going to send her home if they find out she has it and I do not want her missing any more school so she has to put her hair up tomorrow. Ugh!!

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
beadingmom17
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Tea tree oil...mix it in with her shampoo til it's gone. Then mix it in periodically just to keep them at bay.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Oliviasmom72
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Is tea tree oil at the drug store? what section? Thank you so much.

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:58 PM

If it's only been 3 weeks, she probably doesn't have it AGAIN.  She probably still has it.  Mayo isn't the best way to go.  Try doing tee tree oil.  Your whole HOUSE needs to be treated, not just her room.  Did you comb through and pick out all the nits the first time around?  With lice, things need to be washed, vacuumed, etc. on a daily basis.

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:59 PM
3 moms liked this

Also, if you know she has lice, you shouldn't be sending her to school anyway.

beadingmom17
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Some might have it, but the best stuff is found at a health food store or a natural food store.

And if it makes it easier, you can get a small spray bottle and mix it with water and spray it on her hair, then comb through.

Quoting Oliviasmom72:

Is tea tree oil at the drug store? what section? Thank you so much.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
debmom07
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:01 PM
The lice free shampoo has a great egg remover comb. I know its a hard job.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MissMia22
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:01 PM
2 moms liked this
Don't shampoo regularly...lice prefer a clean environment...let her hair stay greasy. Try tea tree oil and clean the entire house not just her room...when she bathes/showers only let her wash her hair every other day at most...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beadingmom17
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:02 PM
This, too. I know you don't want her to miss too much school, but it's not really fair to the other kids (and their parents!)

Quoting jackiewal10:

Also, if you know she has lice, you shouldn't be sending her to school anyway.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
robbinsroost
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:05 PM

My girls had it in the fall. We treated and cleaned everything. One week later we repeated. Two weeks later they had them again. I did not treat, clean or wash anything the second time. I washed their hair normally and then combed through it 3 times a day for a week. In the morning, afternoon and before bed. I then did it once a day the following week. The lice have not returned. I found it to be less work to check their hair daily than it was to clean and wash everything. I also did not want to use all those chemicals again.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:07 PM

wash everything in HOT HOT water.  take all her stuffies and toys etc, put them in a garbage bag and shove them in the freezer for a couple days.  scratch the mayo and use conditioner! gobs and gobs of conditioner.   another thing i was told to do was in the morning when doing her hair, use lots of gel in her hair to style it.  so i used to gel her hair then just put it back in a braid.   ohh and getting a trim, isnt gonna get rid of lice...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN