Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

need help

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:53 PM
  • 16 Replies

my child is 8 years old  and in 3rd grade  all the other kids in  3rd grade are 9 years old  she learns slower they said she has a learning disability i am fine with that i am gonna try to fins help for her !  now i desided to get a phycology test  i should never had done that cause they said cause she has a learning disability she is mild mentaly retardation !

can someone please tell me there wrong !   she acts normal and is normal

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Learning disabilities can be overcome with alot of help and confidence building.  I am not sure if having that particular area of disabilities falls into mental retardation though.  Are they suggesting she be pulled out of her regular class or something?  I havent heard the term mentally retarded in a long time even when i worked in that field.  Talk more with a psychologist about what it all means for your child and her future.   I dont like that there is such a stigma to the word retardation since it simply means slowness or limitation in intellectual understanding and  awareness, emotional development,

academic progress, etc.   My guy was diagnosed with social retardation and that means he misses alot of the social cues that most can see when they are in a social setting.

Matriarch87
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this

smh...just because she may have a learning disability does not make her mildy retarded.  Tons of people that are perfectly brilliant have learning disabilities.  

itsallabtthem84
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:42 AM
This

Quoting Matriarch87:

smh...just because she may have a learning disability does not make her mildy retarded.  Tons of people that are perfectly brilliant have learning disabilities.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Get an independent assessment. 

AngelicMommy_72
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:49 AM
they literally said she's retarded??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
marisab
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:35 AM

hun we cant tell u that only a dr can tell u they are wrong and she may not be retarded tho u have to find out from a dr whats wrong whivh means a full battery of tests taht include adhd,autism spectrum disordders and mental retardation testing...... keep us posted♥

LoreleiSieja
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this

My brother was told to his face, by his sixth grade teacher, that he was a moron and had no right to a public school education.  He grew up feeling stupid, because he learned differently, and difficulty reading (his dyslexic) and couldn't take a written test (test anxiety). He eventually made it to college, and now holds a masters degree.  One test cannot define a child.  But one bad teacher can sure have a lasting effect!  My brother has many mental-health issues and anxiety because of a miserable grade school experience.

If it were my child, I'd take her out of that school.  Try either a private school or homeschool, or even just a different public school  if possible.  It doesn't matter if she's in a highly recommended school already - they aren't the right school for your child at this point.  

What sort of learning disabilities does your child seem to have?  

Third graders should all be eight years old, turning nine during the year, if they started kindergarten at age 5.  Does your child have a late spring or summer birthday, or did she start school a year earlier?  Younger children will often be a little less mature, less coordinated, than their classmates who are sometimes only a few months older than they are.  Schools generally hate to promote younger kids, even if they are smart enough for the next level of education, because it is hard to fit in with older students.  

It is hard to give any more specific advice, without more information.  If you'd like to email me offlist, or reply within this post, I'd be happy to help you come up with other options.  Do not give up on your child. It is my experience that Moms usually are right when they disagree with the school.  They see hundreds of chidlren a year, you know your child best. 

Raising Creative Children

Nurturing Creative Young Minds and Wiggly Bodies

frstldyhmsch
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I personally think they were really fishing when they said "mild retardation". When is your daughter's birthday? She may have started kindergarten too early. Just work with her more at home or get a tutor. I seriously doubt that your daughter is "slow".

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:55 AM

My son was diagnosed with a learning disability when he was in 2nd grade, he was a little slower than the other kids. I cried. I know how you feel! He outgrew the problem by 6th grade, and now he is a third year college student with a 3.8 GPA, so do not despair mama! Every brain is different, every child is different, keep enriching her life, read,read,read with her. Accept any extra help offered at her school, and keep telling her she's wonderful. If she starts thinking she's dumb or god forbid "retarded" she might quit trying.

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Maybe get a second opinion. Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)