Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

When do you take your kids to the dr? (Sorry for the ranting)

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:51 PM
  • 71 Replies

OK, when was growing up, if you missed a day of school, you went to the dr. to see what is wrong, get a note and medicine.  I understand not everyone believe's this but if you are going to miss school, you need to have a good reason and make sure not to miss any more time than necessary.  

However, in the past 4 years, my stepdaugher's mother has only taken her to the doctor 2 or 3 times.  In these 4 years she has missed almost 35-40 days of school!!!  Her mother will keep her home from school for anything-a headache, a runny nose, a fever, a cough, stomach ache,etc.  She will keep her child home from school for 2 or 3 days a week and still not take her to the doctor.  There have even been times where we get her and take her to the doctors and they say she needs to stay home an additional day because she needs to get the medicine in her before she can go back.  Therefore, she missed the days she decided to keep her home without taking her to the doctor and then another day after we take her to get medicine from the doctor.  

Now, she goes to her mother's for a few days and starts feeling ill.  Her mother, having just had the flu, thinks it is the flu but does not take her to the doctors for 3 days.  Her daughter has to suffer for 3 days with the flu before she takes her to the doctors.  Then the doctor determines she does indeed have the flu and can not return to school for some time.  Now, she has missed another 5 days of school!!  

This is getting a bit rediculous that the child has to suffer feeling sick, and her grades have to suffer.  When do you feel like it is important to take a child to the doctors or for a child to miss school?  What could be done about this behavior to help the child from continually suffering.  

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
A.J.s_mommy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:54 PM
My kid doesn't miss often, but I don't take him to the Dr when he does. A few times I have taken him, but rarely.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommy2boys03
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:58 PM
6 moms liked this

Unless they are running a fever the majority of the time they say it's a virus and it has to run it's course so no I don't run to the doctor everytime.  My son threw up at school yesterday but has been fine today so he is going back to school since he hasn't thrown up for 24 hurs.  Not everything requires a trip to the doctor.

iwillstapleyou
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry you're frustrated with her. I don't take my DD to the doc unless she has weird or alarming symptoms, or if she's so sick she needs medicine to get better (which is rare). And honestly, I don't think missing 10 days a year is a big deal. School may disagree, but that was pretty normal for me as a kid.
spunky946
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:58 PM
I take them when my mommy sense tells me too. They aren't going to do anything for the flu though, so I don't see the big deal for this last time.

If I think a cold has lingered or I don't like the way their chest sounds ill call.
illinoismommy83
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:08 PM
3 moms liked this

Our school district says fever = stay home. Green nasal mucus = stay home. Vomiting = stay home. Diarrhea = stay home. Ear infection = stay home. Pink eye = stay home. Keep your germs home, basically. I'm not taking my kid to the doctor over green nasal discharge. I'm not taking my kid to the doctor for diarrhea. I'm not taking my kid to the doctor over flu-symptoms unless the fever is super or high or they have breathing issues. Unless the doctor can DO something for the child (like suspected strep, suspected ear infection, etc) I hardly see a reason to haul a sick child out. 

Tamiflu is over $100 with insurance, has to be taken within 48 hours of symptom onset, and is so hard to find because pharmacies run out of it. I usually can't figure out if its the cold or the flu in the first 24-48 hours.

emmy526
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:08 PM

I let my dd stay home when she has a headaache, as she's prone to migraines...she doesn't need to see a dr for every one she gets, and it usually around 'that time of the month' anyways.  They go to the dr if i suspect a bacterial infection. 

whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:09 PM

And virus runs its course.  A doc doesn't do anything for the flu.  My kids go for sore throat with fever, earache, and anything with the head.  Our doc doesn't want to see flu kids unless lethargic.

Momof2Stepof3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:12 PM

My kids have migraines so if they wake with one they stay home. Though it rarely happens since 2006 when we found out DS gets migraines he has missed a total of 4 days from them. He has missed more days due to his heart condition then migraines. On the days he is home for his heart the doc always sends a note home with us. I'm not a parent who will send a kid to school with a cough that in 24 hours will go away with over the counter meds. Co-Pays are to much to go every cough and itchy throat.

Quoting vdun89:

OK, when was growing up, if you missed a day of school, you went to the dr. to see what is wrong, get a note and medicine.  I understand not everyone believe's this but if you are going to miss school, you need to have a good reason and make sure not to miss any more time than necessary.  

However, in the past 4 years, my stepdaugher's mother has only taken her to the doctor 2 or 3 times.  In these 4 years she has missed almost 35-40 days of school!!!  Her mother will keep her home from school for anything-a headache, a runny nose, a fever, a cough, stomach ache,etc.  She will keep her child home from school for 2 or 3 days a week and still not take her to the doctor.  There have even been times where we get her and take her to the doctors and they say she needs to stay home an additional day because she needs to get the medicine in her before she can go back.  Therefore, she missed the days she decided to keep her home without taking her to the doctor and then another day after we take her to get medicine from the doctor.  

Now, she goes to her mother's for a few days and starts feeling ill.  Her mother, having just had the flu, thinks it is the flu but does not take her to the doctors for 3 days.  Her daughter has to suffer for 3 days with the flu before she takes her to the doctors.  Then the doctor determines she does indeed have the flu and can not return to school for some time.  Now, she has missed another 5 days of school!!  

This is getting a bit rediculous that the child has to suffer feeling sick, and her grades have to suffer.  When do you feel like it is important to take a child to the doctors or for a child to miss school?  What could be done about this behavior to help the child from continually suffering.  

Firenygirl180
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:14 PM
Ds was sick for a week and then got better and was sick for another week and a half. We didn't take him to the doctor at all. He had a low fever but it came down with Tylenol and he only threw up once. If he had the flu the doctor would have said to keep him home.

Of I feel like it is something that may need antibiotics I will take him, if it appears to be a simple cold or the flu I keep him home.

Why bring my sick child out in the freezing cold to be told he needs to stay home. Of course he is more likely to pick something else up at the doctors or at the store if we run errands.
Our copay is $35, so if I ran to the doctor for every little cough I'd go broke. I do call the 24 hour nurse line through our insurance if I am worried.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:17 PM
Our schools fail you if you miss 30 or 40 days. After missing 10 days a doctors note is needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN