Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just so stressed out.

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:45 PM
  • 18 Replies

Our life has not been easy. We have been dealing with a lot. I am not going into it, it would be way too much. Just a lot of things have been going on and I am in the middle and I just can't handle any more. I don't want to see a dr. I hate going to the clinic and such. I am trying to find ways to kinda relax a little at night. I want to say drinking is out because of personal choices but I am game for anything else. SO far I have tried hot baths, meditaion and spa days.Please any other tips would be great.

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this

It sounds as though you have already tried both physical and mental means of relaxing. Eliminate caffeine from your diet. Exercise - say a half hour a day- walk, dance, sing.  When you practised meditation you probably alreay learned breathing and relaxing exercises, but in case you didn't, here are two that I like:

Breath control-   inhale slowly all the way down to your abdomen, exhale slowly starting with pulling in your abdomen.  Try this for a few repetitions, slowly, as you exhale think of worries leaving your body.

Progressive relaxation: lie down comfortably, start at your toes and tighten then relax your toes, slowly work up your body- tighten and relax your feet, ankles, front of the legs, back of the legs- slowly, slowly. Check every so often to see if everything is still relaxed.  Work up to your face, scalp, ears, jaw, etc.  This exercise not only lets you relax your body, it also helps your mind focus and push out negative thoughts.

(more in my next reply)

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:04 PM
2 moms liked this

You can try writing down your troubles, and then write down your blessings. As you write your blessings, think about them, smile, breathe. 

itsallabtthem84
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:40 AM
I agree with Bmat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Take a walk. It helps clear your head. Even though things are bad, try to think of the good things that have happened in your life. Fell grateful for those things and don't obsess about the bad.

Moe1521
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:51 AM
When I'm stressed I turn to the arts. I write, I sing, draw, dance, paint. Find something you have passion for, and enjoy doing it. It helps me because I focus on the task at hand, and for a while it helps melt away all my stresses. I hope you find something that works for you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
marisab
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:23 AM

stres sis a killer ..u have to relax ui know hoe u feel in the last 2 years i have had to deal with my husband almost dying and being plave din a nursing home(hes only 36);cps involvement relate dto stres sof the aforementiones,inlaw bs, and looking for a new job!!

i have tio have a vent or 2 or three..for me tahts my firnds,my journakla ndmy hobby-i design siggys

LoreleiSieja
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:35 AM

There has been some good advice posted already - I especially agree with the first post by Mbat. I have a lot of stress in my life as well, so I will add my two cents, from experience.

When you are suffering from too much stress, it is very important to get your life on a regular schedule - regular meal times, regular bedtimes, etc.  Stress is caused when you feel like your life is out of control - so exerting control over some basic aspects of your life can reduce stress.  Also, it is easier to fall asleep when your body is on a regular schedule.  And I do mean regular!  If you get up at 6am during the week, then you must also get up at 6 am on weekends!  Do not alter your schedule at all!  You need to make sure you are getting plenty of sleep.  Many people suffering stress are not getting enough sleep.  It may be hard to fall asleep, or to stay asleep, but schedule it into your routine, and stick with it.  Getting 8 - 9 hours of sleep every night is very important to de-stress your life.  Also - sleep we get before midnight is much more beneficial than the sleep we get after midnight.  So sleeping from 8:30pm - 4:30am is better healthwise than sleeping from midnight to 8 am.  But find the schedule that works for you, and write it down.

Schedule regular exercise - OUTSIDE.  The health benefits of being outside, seeing the sunshine, is so important, I can't mention them all in a small article, but you could google it if you must know.  Seeing the sun every day can actually cure depression and help you fall asleep without medication.

Go to bed a half hour before you want to BE asleep.  Put that in your schedule.  It is very important that you set an alarm to tell you when it's time to get ready for bed, rather than waiting until you feel sleepy.  Have  bedtime routine - like washing your face, brushing your teeth, packing lunches, whatever you need to do before bed.  The routine helps your body unwind and realize that it's time to rest.  If you are just watching tv, then go to bed, it's very sudden and your body may still be in "tv mode".  

Find something to do to help you "de-stress".  Taking up the drums would be a good choice!  Something physical.  Some women used to bake bread to destress - taking out their frustrations on kneading bread dough.  Men used to chop wood.  Our tame culture doesn't allow us to use our muscles or build up much of a sweat.  For some, going for a daily walk helps, but I'm not talking about exercise again. I'm talking about when some thing happens.  WHatever the things are in your life that are causing the stress.  When an event happens and you are feeling anxiety becaues of it.  Do your hands ever tremble? Do you cry easily?  Do you have panic attacks?  When you have a physical reaction to stress, having a physical activity to de-stress is very helpful.  Some people chew their nails - not a good choice.  Sometimes little children will pull out their hair - also not a good choice.  I have taught little children to pound a bed pillow.  Not the same as splitting wood, but certainly healthier than beating on a baby brother.  

Eat regularly.  Sleep regularly. Exercise regularly.  See the sun daily.  And find some physical activity to help you de-stress.  That's about the best you can do, without seeing a doctor.  It is time to seek medical help if you are feeling depressed, overwhelmed, worthless, or suicideal.  It is time for medical help if you have several anxiety attacks a month.  Anti-depressants can help if you cry easily, can't seem to control your emotions, or your stress is making you nauseated.  

Take care of yourself!  Life should be enjoyed.

Raising Creative Children

Nurturing Creative Young Minds and Wiggly Bodies

frstldyhmsch
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Find an outlet like writing, working out, reading...something physical and do it everyday. Try drinking organic Kava tea it's a great decaffeinated tea that promotes relaxation...works for me & I suffer from anxiety attacks mostly at night.

jenny198356
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:54 AM

yoga

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Lots of great tips everyone has posted for you, so far. I hope things get better soon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured