Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I need some advice...

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:32 AM
  • 5 Replies

So recently my sister was divorced. Her ex husband ended up getting custody of the children (long story) anyways... He is Puerto Rican and my sister is white. His family is extremely racist against white people. The have two children together. My sister has heard their granmother say extremely racist remarks about white people. Obviously this is a problem seeing as how racism is terrible and the children's mother is white making them also white. I don't know if there is anything she can do about this...it scares me to think that my niece and nephew will hate my family and their mother because of our skin color. Does anyone know if there is any way to stop this? Is this considered child abuse?

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Unfortunately it isnt.   Does she have frequent visits with the children?   I would fight to get custody back by any means possible.   They are biracial children who need to learn about both cultures.

DarlaHood
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:01 AM
1 mom liked this

The only thing she can do is to try to spend as much time with them as possible, and be the example that contradicts what is being said.  She should not bring it up directly, but she can talk to her kids about being bi-racial.  She can let them know that there are all different races, and all different mixes in people, and that's why we don't make any judgments about people based on the color of their skin.  We have to look and see what's on the inside.  And we should always see for ourselves.  If they ask about his family saying such things, then she has the opportunity to let them know that some people do judge people by their skin color, and that you hope that they will not do that.

If she takes the high road, eventually they will resent anyone who says things about their mother.  in the meantime, it's important for her to confirm how perfect and wonderful they are.

Avery2009
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:16 AM

Thank for the replies! She is doing exactly what you both have said I was hoping there would be more she could do. The whole situation tears me to pieces...I have know idea how she is holding it together. She misses her babies so much. 

frstldyhmsch
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Well dad obviously loves white people and if he's raising them, I don't think he would be teaching them racist things. He got full custody right? Why? He must be a pretty good father to those kids. 

Bleacheddecay
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Get the book Divorce Poison. It has some things you can do about people slandering others and so on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN