Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Meal and snack ideas (PIOG)

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:26 AM
  • 27 Replies

I realized that I am letting my children eat a lot of sugar through out the day. I am going to change our habits for good but first I am going to do a VERY low sugar diet for a month. My husband thinks I am crazy (mainly because he LOVES sweet tea) but I am determined to do it.

I would some ideas on low sugar foods to eat. I think I can handle lunch and supper but breakfast I am having a hard time with. We ear cereal almost every morning around here and when we eat oatmeal we had sugar too it. I am looking to keep our sugar intake to 2 grams or less a serving. ANY ideas would help! Breakfast, snacks, lunch, supper, anything!      TYIA!

I am not excluding fruit from our diet even though they have tons of sugar because it is natural sugar and that is going to be our main snacks.. lol

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
redheadstar
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I love peanut butter on a low salt rice cake or on a piece of fruit, my kids would never go for it, they love salty snacks, lol, maybe making a healthy soup would be the way to go?  I am doing that today

som610
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:46 AM

My kids love salty too but it is sugar I am trying to stay away from.. lol They are little (5,3,2) so they don't get a choice.. LOL My SD will be here for a week of it too she is 11 and she might die.. lol But I am going to do it anyways.. I am hoping I last the whole month.

Quoting redheadstar:

I love peanut butter on a low salt rice cake or on a piece of fruit, my kids would never go for it, they love salty snacks, lol, maybe making a healthy soup would be the way to go?  I am doing that today

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:54 PM

I found that fruit provided enough sugar for my sweet tooth. Try not adding sugar to cereal, and not using highly sugared cereal, of course. Some cut up fruit in the cereal. Instead of sweet snacks, use fresh veggies and fruits.

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Rice cakes are a nice snack, and popcorn.

Quoting redheadstar:

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:33 AM

peanut butter on celery sticks, cheese on whole wheat crackers. Popcorn. Pretzels.

LoreleiSieja
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I have a favorite way to make oatmeal that I can eat without adding sugar.  My DH likes it this way, too.  I got it from a day care cookbook!  They called it "Fruit Melange".  I just call it "Oatmeal".

Put two cups of water in your blender.  Add two chopped apples (quarter, remove seeds, but leave on the peels) and two bananas, broken into smaller chunks.  Puree until the fruit is chopped very small. Pour this mixture into your pot and add 1 cup of raw oats.  Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until oatmeal is done. Add a 1/2 cup of yogurt, stir in and serve.  You can also add a handful of chopped nuts either to the apples in the blender or right on top of the finished oatmeal. The bananas make this sweet enough, and the yogurt - even though my DH hates yogurt - just makes it creamy and smooth without milk and brown sugar.

My granddaughter hates most fruits, but she loves fruit smoothies!  We can even add some spinach to the smoothies, and she'll still drink it.  You need a pretty cup - preferably one that isn't clear- so they can't see the little green bits of spinach - and a thick straw, to make this "fun".  Throw any mix of fresh and frozen fruits into a blender and puree, adding small amounts of water only enough so it will puree.  Add a few leaves of spinach.  My favorite is frozen strawberries and fresh bananas.  I have also made it with frozen mango and fresh peaches.  I love smoothies with blueberries, but it will turn the drink a gross color of yuck and purple... some kids won't taste somethign that looks gross.

Stuffed dates.  Buy whole, seedless dates and stuff an almond in the middle and serve. Yum!

"Ants on a log": stuff peanut butter in the middle of a celery stick and put a few raisins on top.

Pancakes with fruit syrup: Puree strawberries until smooth and thick, and warm slightly in a microwave, pour over pancakes instead of syrup and eat.

Cheese and crackers: You can use small cookie cutters to cut thin slices of cheese into cute shapes, to make this snack more kid-friendly.  Save the scraps to add to macaroni and cheese.  

Roll up mini hotdogs in crescent roll dough, bake, and serve. - a kid-favorite.  We try to encourage mustard instead of ketchup, since ketchup is VERY HIGH in sugar and high-fructose corn syrup.  If you do use ketchup, you may want to find a recipe and make your own, or get it at a health-food store.

Mini-pizzas: using crescent dough, top with tomato sauce, cheese, and crumbled sausage or pepperoni cut in small bits, roll up and back as usual.

Check out diabetic cook books for more ideas - they are low in sugar.  

marisab
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:35 AM

did it work for u?i wanan start eliminating sugar

peaches_04
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Look up dr sears nibble tray
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Fruits and veggies are great snacks. 

What sugary snacks are you feeding your child?

We usually only let our daughter have one snack a day, between lunch and dinner. And it is usually carrots and hummus or a fruit and veggie shake.

winterglow
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Why not have eggs for breakfast? Poached or boiled with buttered toast and a piece of fruit ... or a fruit yoghurt.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)