Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I am losing my mind!

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:57 AM
  • 21 Replies

I live in a loft. When we moved in there was no one beneath, above, or beside our apt. About a month ago, a younger guy, probably 18-20 moved in beneath us. HE IS DRIVING ME INSANE!!! The first night he was in his apartment, I got woken up from a dead sleep at 2:30 a.m. and had to go banging on his door like I was the freaking police or something, and politely ask him to turn his fucking music down and chill out before I ripped his throat out! LOL

In all honesty, he opened the door apologizing, so I didn't rip him a new one like I had planned, but I was firm. I explained that I had a four year old trying to sleep directly above him, and that I was two floors above him and he and his friends managed to wake me up. I also explained that we had to wake up in 3 hours for work and that I didn't appreciate the noise at all. He immediately turned the music down and his friends all left... I know because I saw them leaving.

He is still loud and it still really annoys me, but nothing so bad that I've felt the need to knock on his door. My current issue, is that my entire house smells like a freaking ashtray! Neither DH nor I, smoke. I'm pregnant. My four year old has to breathe that shit. I'm beyond irritated. I just don't think there is anything that I can do about him smoking inside of his own apartment. What do I do? Do we just have to deal with his second hand cancer? I'm super pissed that our apt complex put someone his age, that smokes, below a family that they know good and well has children. Our building is huge and I'd estimate half of it is currently unoccupied. WHY DID HE HAVE TO BE IN THAT UNIT?

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceciliam
by Cecilia on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I'm not sure there is anything you can do....that stinks. I would hate to have to be around cigarette smoke.

SpiritedMom2
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Aww this sucks - is there a building manager that you can complain to? You dont want your kid and unborn baby going through all that passive smoke- there are definite dangers associated. If there is no manager or building superintendent or something I would definitely talk to him again and explain to him that he needs to smoke outside the building because the smoke is coming up thorugh the vents.

Bleacheddecay
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:26 PM

If the whole building is mostly empty, maybe you could change units?

Rae706
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:46 PM

There are plenty of people that I could complain to, but I don't think it will do any good. When I was moving in, the leasing agent was explaining that residents are not allowed to smoke in the hallways of the building, but that they cannot tell them what they can or cannot do in their unit. )-:

Quoting SpiritedMom2:

Aww this sucks - is there a building manager that you can complain to? You dont want your kid and unborn baby going through all that passive smoke- there are definite dangers associated. If there is no manager or building superintendent or something I would definitely talk to him again and explain to him that he needs to smoke outside the building because the smoke is coming up thorugh the vents.

Rae706
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Geez, what a pain! We're in the process of buying a house anyway, so if we have to move now, we're just going to have to move again as soon as we find a house and close on it.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Bleacheddecay
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:00 PM

That's great! I hope you find the house of your dreams soon!

Quoting Rae706:

Geez, what a pain! We're in the process of buying a house anyway, so if we have to move now, we're just going to have to move again as soon as we find a house and close on it.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Rae706
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you! Me too! We are so incredibly excited! I can't wait to have a yard for the kids and our dog, and plenty of space for our junk, and no noisy stinky neighbors! LOL

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

That's great! I hope you find the house of your dreams soon!

Quoting Rae706:

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Rae706
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:30 PM

A for effort, but because it is a loft, we can't reach any of our vents and we only have I think two outlets in the living room (which is where the smell is the worst). I think the smoke is coming up between the two brick walls and the concrete floor. The smell is just everywhere, it seriously smells like an ashtray. ):

Quoting SpiritedMom2:

Will this help?

http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Secondhand-Smoke-Coming-Into-Your-Apartment

jlscheck24
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I have the same problem! I live in an apartment complex and the two apartments across from me are occupied by young "men" who play loud music ALL day and chain smoke. We have had to call the police before because they have parties and people were in the hallway drinking and carrying on in the middle of the night on more than one occasion! I would talk to management or you leasor immediately. Second hand smoke is unacceptable these days. Im sure that smoking in the apartment is against their contract.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)