Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Introducing baby

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:59 PM
  • 6 Replies

My little guy will be 17 months old when his little brother is born, and I know he's probably too young to know what's going on, but when I deliver, I'd like to get him a couple of small gifts too.  I was wondering if I should have DH bring him to the hospital to meet his little brother, has anyone done this?  He's a great little guy, very sweet and extremely gentle.  My only concern is that I want to include him as much as possible so he feels like he has a part in all of this.

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:01 PM

When my 2nd was born my oldest was 13 months. dady did bring him in the day after his sibling was born. The day we brought his new sibling home we had a big brother gift from the new baby.

mamalusbear
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:04 PM

That's wonderful.  Any reccomendations on the big brother gift?

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

When my 2nd was born my oldest was 13 months. dady did bring him in the day after his sibling was born. The day we brought his new sibling home we had a big brother gift from the new baby.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Of course siblings come see the baby at the hospital.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Sure, have dh bring him to the hospital to see you and the new baby. As for a big brother gift, how about a toy and a T-shirt that says "I'm a big brother!" or something like that? I didn't do a gift for my dd who was 11mos when her sister was born, but she did come to the hospital with hubby and stole all the nurses' hearts. :)

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Quoting mamalusbear:

That's wonderful.  Any reccomendations on the big brother gift?

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

We got him toy golf clubs. We choose them because daddy is an avid golfer. He LOVED them.He used them in the playroom until it was warm enough to use in the backyard. It also made him feel like a big boy. Another thing we did that may help is we told our oldest  "this is your baby" Your little brother. You need to love him, care for him and teach him to be a good boy just like you !" My sons are grown now and are extremely close. They would tell anyone they are best friends and always have been.

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

Bleacheddecay
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I took my oldest to a sibling class. Got a baby doll for my oldest to pretend to be the parent of. Also pointed out on shows and in magazines or books families with more than one child.

When I had my youngest, the sitter gave the oldest a small (garage sale) gift each day I was gone.

When the oldest came to the hospital, I said to everyone, give the oldest attention NOT the baby while the oldest is here. Well the oldest just wanted to hold her baby brother.

I was very worried about never getting any alone time with my youngest but that turned out fine. To this day I do cherish my alone time with him and he is 19 now. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN