Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

17 month doesn't want to sit in buggy . HELP!!!!!

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:34 PM
  • 13 Replies
I am tired of being a nervous wreck every time I take my 17 month anywhere! I just left Walmart and am a nervous wreck! She tries getting out and I buckle her in but today she somehow about fell out! I took snacks and toys but nothing works! She is the same way going out to eat! I stay st home so I like to get out go do things but sometimes it just isn't worth it! Any suggestions on how to get her to be a better shopper?????
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Let dh stay with your kid and go alone. Fun for you and good for dh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crwspringer
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe let her walk. And to help keep her on track, get a backpack with a harness. Putting a book with a little weight to it is a good thing too. The weight is actually soothing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tinakinakins
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:37 PM

She almost fell out of her car seat? or her stroller or shopping cart?

EsmeVincent
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:40 PM
I know most are against it but when DS pulled that crap he got a spanking. At that age they should understand no and stop
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsJoe125
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I agree with this.

Quoting atlmom2:

Let dh stay with your kid and go alone. Fun for you and good for dh.

Also, you could try using a stroller or wear her in a sling or front pack, if she isn't too heavy.

Another idea would be to let her walk with you.  I know this would be more difficult, but if it works, pushing the shopping cart with one hand is WAY easier than stopping your shopping in the middle to take her to the ER.  (I'd switch which hand you hold hers with and which one you use to push the cart; that way your muscles won't be uneven)

JTE11
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Sometimes they go through these phases, my DD started it around that age too, she was constantly wanting out and  would ask over and over to get out and walk. But she's one who if I DID let her out, would bolt every single time (she's two and STILL does this) so I could never let her out and she was whining the whole time. So, we just stopped shopping with her. DH stops and get the grocery order as he is coming home from work on payday. I send him with the list and he goes shopping so I don't have to fight with her in the store.

breebree04
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:20 PM

My ds went through that stage too. I would just sit him back down and tell him no. If he was able to try to climb out then the buckle obviously wasnt tight enough so I would tighten it. Eventually he just stopped trying and then was old enough to walk. If you have to take her with you, you will just have to keep sitting her back down and reminding her she has to sit and make sure the belt is as tight as it can be without making her uncomfortable so she cant climb/fall out

ChocolateJunky
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Let her walk with you and hold your hand. Sounds like she just wants to explore.

SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:11 PM

i pop them in the ergo on my back when they do that at that age.  if they want to sit in  the cart, they have  to listen, or it's back in the ergo.

DakotaHaley
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Maybe she would like to help. Try including her in and letting her put things in the cart and stuff.

As far as going out to eat bring something that will hold her attention. Whether she likes reading or something bring a book and you guys could read intill food comes. I know we usually put the kids food in first just so they don't have to wait to long.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN