Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

pregnant and starting a new job...HELP!!

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:23 PM
  • 8 Replies
So i start my new job February 28th and i recently found out i'm pregnant, only 7 weeks though. When it comes time for me to go on maternity leave could they fire me? With my other pregnancies i had been on my jobs for a while, but this is new to me.

butterflyLuvMommysBabies

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
annhart19
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:26 PM
They cannot fire for being pregnant. However I'm sure if they rly wanted to they could find another reason. Also some places require u to be in a position for so long before u qualify for leave.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:03 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't think so, just keep quiet and do a great job and when it's obvious that you're pregnant they'll want to keep you! Do you want to keep the job after the baby comes? If so, assure them that you'll be back.

MMerrill
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Don't tell them right now, wait until they notice it on their own so they don't off the bat want you gone (because some places are like that unfortunately) but no they can't legally fire you for having a baby.

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

LoreleiSieja
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I would NOT recommend that you don't tell them.  Keeping this a secret is sneaky and devious and immature.  You need to go to your boss immediately - don't wait until Feb. 28th.  Ask to speak with him/her privately.  Then let him know that you just discovered you were pregnant, that you don't think this will interfere with your ability to do the job, and you are still very excited to work for them.  Be calm, be polite, be professional.  He may fire you on the spot. But he will respect you for being upfront, and may offer you the job again after your child is born. If you are devious, you will NOT get a good recommendation from him when you try to get another job.

Most likely, he will not fire you, but will discuss the company's maternity leave program. He may be disgruntled, as your pregnancy is not convenient for the company, but he should be professional too.  

Always treat your employers with courtesy, respect, and maturity. It pays off in the long run.

Raising Creative Children

Nurturing Creative Young Minds and Wiggly Bodies

pookie.bear2009
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this

My friend had this happen to her. She stayed working right up til her due date(she needed the money) She was a very good worker and they worked out a way that she could take the FMLA to take care of the baby even though she was only there for 3or 4 months. When you have to be there for at least a year so I would tell your employer and see if they can work something out for you.

marisab
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:08 PM

how did this turn out?

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I would wait to tell them until about 12 weeks at the earliest. I've only been pregnant at a job once and I didn't tell them until 16 weeks because I was not showing.

LindaClement
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I think it depends on the jurisdiction you live in. In all of Canada, it would be illegal to fire you. Dunno about any of the US State laws.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)