Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How much food should I get?? And what should I serve?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:36 PM
  • 18 Replies

My mom is turning 60 in March. I was going to make it a surprise party but now I'm thinking I shouldn't. 1) because she is also having surgery the week before her birthday so IDK if she will even be feeling up to it the weekend after her birthday. And 2) she will wonder why my dad is taking her to the church where I am having it. I haven't finalized a number of guests but I was thinking around 20-30 people?

ETA: it's an open house from 3-6. I want something easy to put together & clean up (if leftovers). 

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmy526
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:00 PM

it depends on what kind of party you are having....dinner party, or just apptizers and cake/drinks? Who is doing the cooking if more food is needed? Are you hiring a caterer or doing it yourself if it's a dinner party?

MMerrill
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Do a variety, some real foods and some finger foods and snacks.  At my baby shower we did a huge thing of baked ziti, 3 inch sub sandwiches from a deli, 7 layer dip, fruit tray, veggie tray, bbq wieners, etc....

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

CampClan
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:08 PM

ETA in OP

Quoting emmy526:

it depends on what kind of party you are having....dinner party, or just apptizers and cake/drinks? Who is doing the cooking if more food is needed? Are you hiring a caterer or doing it yourself if it's a dinner party?

whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:38 AM

We always do the staples...cheese and cracker tray, veggie tray, lunchmeat tray and rolls, baked ziti, meatballs or sausage and peppers, roast pork (its always on sale here).  Get a couple disposable chaffing trays at the dollar store.   I buy the cake, but you could make that too. Pre-make everything and just heat before serving.  

Good luck and have fun!

RainyDayMom78
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:44 AM

We do a lot of gatherings at our church, and we are big fans of Pot Lucks... you can have a main dish along with the Birthday Cake, serve a juice punch, water, & possible coffee to go w/cake. I don't think it out of line asking if family and friends to bring some of there favorite finger foods & side dishes... this is great esp. if you are worried about clean up- let everyone know they are responsible for their own dish they brought when the party is over. Also if anyone has any special food needs, they can bring something they know they can have. The pot lucks we do are very easy and we always end up with way more food, that there is always plenty for all, and everyone usually helps out when it comes to cleaning.

jessicasmom1
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Cheese , pepperoni tray & crackers serve with spicy mustard, fresh fruit tray serve with dip ( strawberry creame cheese and marshmallow fluff) the juice we prefer is 1/2 orange jucie to 1/2 cranberry juice. I would say some coffee also. The menu either have everyone bring something , or find out what you Mom's favorites are and try to build on that.

jessicasmom1
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this

We like those pinwheels sandwiches wrap in flour tortilla and roll you may have to stick a tooth pick in. Here are some variety's we make 

turkey or ham, cheese, lettuce , tomato, cream cheese 

or chicken, tuna with lettuce and mayonnaise 

buffalo chicken or shrimp with lettuce and ranch  

momamanda
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:08 AM

I would do appetizers. Maybe some chips and dip, some little quiches, Fruit and veggie trays, and cake.. keep it simple and maybe do it before her surgery that would definelty be  a suprise!

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I like the pinwheel appetizers because you can make them ahead of time and slice them just before. I would also do something healthy like fruit or veggie tray. Unless you are having a lot of young people you don't need a ton of food, people usually have almost double what they need. Keep the drinks simple too,lemonade,water, coffee.In pretty pitchers so you don't have a bunch of ugly soda bottles sitting there :) You might serve one hot dish from a chafing dish with a warmer under it, everyone likes chicken with alfredo sauce and penne pasta(instead of fettucine because it's easier to eat) and a simple salad, already dressed, rolls, but not too many!

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I don't think I would that close to her having surgery. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)