Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms
I have a one week old. I am breast feeding but his Dr is having me supplement with formula. I'm good about burping him frequently but he gets the hiccups pretty often and seems gassy all day. Could it be his formula or my breast milk?? I'm a first time mother so this may be a common sense question but I just didn't know.
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Replies (11-20):
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:45 PM

and, congrats on your new baby!  :)

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Don't get so nazi on her. 

Quoting stepconfused182:

OR she could not use medication to help with the gas when eliminating the formula would probably do the trick! That sounds like a much better idea for a newborn to me! We are asking why the doctor told her to supplement, because 9 times out of 10, a pediatrician is extremely uneducated in the logistics of breastfeeding and supplementing isn't necessary. If she had said, I'm supplementing because I want to, that would be a different story.

Quoting atlmom2:

Use mylicon drops.  I did.  Whatever the reason your are supplementing is fine.  Don't pay attention to the ones asking why you are doing it. 

SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Nazi's killed thousands of people during the holocaust.   these moms are just trying to help the OP determine if supplementing is necessary since her baby seems to be having digestive problems from it.   really not comparable at all.

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting stepconfused182:

OR she could not use medication to help with the gas when eliminating the formula would probably do the trick! That sounds like a much better idea for a newborn to me! We are asking why the doctor told her to supplement, because 9 times out of 10, a pediatrician is extremely uneducated in the logistics of breastfeeding and supplementing isn't necessary. If she had said, I'm supplementing because I want to, that would be a different story.

Quoting atlmom2:

Use mylicon drops.  I did.  Whatever the reason your are supplementing is fine.  Don't pay attention to the ones asking why you are doing it. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Thank you! What a ridiculous comment.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Nazi's killed thousands of people during the holocaust.   these moms are just trying to help the OP determine if supplementing is necessary since her baby seems to be having digestive problems from it.   really not comparable at all.

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting stepconfused182:

Quoting atlmom2:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:13 PM

No, your comments are rude asking her why she is supplementing.  She is.  Leave it at that. 

Quoting stepconfused182:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting stepconfused182:

Quoting atlmom2:

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:19 PM

The only rude comments I see here are coming from you. There is nothing rude about trying to help someone who has a gassy baby by suggesting that formula may not be necessary. If the formula is the cause of the problems, that's very likely an easy fix. Maybe you shouldn't be offering advice on a subject you obviously know so little about?

Quoting atlmom2:

No, your comments are rude asking her why she is supplementing.  She is.  Leave it at that. 

Quoting stepconfused182:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting stepconfused182:

Quoting atlmom2:

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Hello, I had a gassy baby so I do know.  Just don't respond to me any longer, geez. 

Quoting stepconfused182:

The only rude comments I see here are coming from you. There is nothing rude about trying to help someone who has a gassy baby by suggesting that formula may not be necessary. If the formula is the cause of the problems, that's very likely an easy fix. Maybe you shouldn't be offering advice on a subject you obviously know so little about?

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting stepconfused182:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting stepconfused182:

Quoting atlmom2:

SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Were you nursing?

Quoting atlmom2:

Hello, I had a gassy baby so I do know.  Just don't respond to me any longer, geez. 

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:17 PM
Ha, I bet I could answer that question!

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Were you nursing?

Quoting atlmom2:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Talk with his doctor. There may some intolerance to the kind of formula.  Congratulations and many blessings on your new baby.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)