Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Need to pick your mombrains; b-day activity ideas needed :)

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:55 PM
  • 25 Replies

Hi there, DD is having her second birthday party in a week and a half. We will have four other kids there, and their ages are 5, 4, 3 and 3. I don't think I can do games because they're too young to 'get' it, so what do I do? I will have coloring pages and crayons out, and I have some toys like Lincoln Logs, a Bilibo, a Rody jumping horse, and  sit and spin. I'm at a loss about what other activities I could have out for them to do. I just thought that if I have some stuff siting out they can just play instead of trying to get them to do games with rules (that my DD won't be able to do for sure, and probably not the three year olds either). Any idea of any other activities? Thanks in advance!

EDIT- I am getting some great responses to this question.  There are so many things I never would have thought of-THANK YOU!  Some people have gone into some very thoughtful detail, which I do appreciate. If there are any further replies, I thought I'd supply a little more info. We're having a pizza party, so after everyone is there, we will all eat. We can have some play time then until we get the table cleaned off and the food stuff put away, and this is the time that we'd have a game if we have one. Then we will have presents, then cake/icecream and then if kids want to play a bit but by then they will probably be ready to go. I have party favor boxes to give them as they are leaving because my MIL doesn't want them leaving their favors all over her downstairs for her dog to later eat. There isn't a whole lot of time for games since we are eating a meal but I think I have some good ideas of some things to add to what I already have.

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jbyrd898
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:25 AM

At my sons' second birthday, I brought his slide, and his little ball pit. the kids there were all under two though.

whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:30 AM

That's a tough age group!  I would set up a flexible play schedule allowing for about 10 minutes for each task unless you are just going to let them free play in which case they likely won't play together.  You can do a candy hunt (give the little ones a head start), do a color page contest, see who builds the highest block tower, etc.  At that age, it's fun to let the kids decorate cupcakes if you don't mind a mess!  Have fun and don't forget to take lots of pictures!

funhappymom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:42 AM

There are some easy and great crafts out there for that age-foam door hangers with foam sticky pieces to go on them, let them color a coffee filter with markers and then you spray them with water so the colors run together and then use a pipe cleaner to gather them in the middle to create a butterfly.

How about play dough or moon sand? You can make home made play dough in different scents-check out pinterest for recipes.

momamanda
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this

You can definelty play games!!!  Pin the tail on the donkey is a great one for this age. If you are having a theme you can always make your own with poster board. I have done "Pin the cupcake on the cherry"(pinkalicious party) "Pin the bow on hello kitty" Pin the "X" on the Pirate map" (pirate party)  "pin the jewel on the crown" (princess party). Your 2 year old might not understand on his own but will get the concept when the other kids are playing. You could also play hot potato but instead of being out the child sits in the middle if they get stopped with the hot potato. ALso a ring toss type game. Since there is not very many kids though you probably will be fine with the coloring and toys. But even adding in just 1 game wouldn't hurt

RainyDayMom78
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Yes that can be a tricky age group. There are some "games" even at two they would be able to do, more or less, I use to work a Parent Child Center, more of a preschool for ages 4months to 5yrs... So I have spent alot  of time with this age group. It sounds like you have a lot of good things for them to do.

Sing-a-long games are fun (eyes, fingers & nose, etc.), as well as dancing & simon says.... you can adapt them all for 2/3 years old. They love to get up and hop around, if you have some light weight scarfs the kind they juggle with, well those can be swung around as they dance, or you can make music shakers with a plastic egg and some dry beans w/duct tape (so they don't open the egg) and can go home w/them.

Coloring is a great idea, but don't let them do it unsupervised, most 2/3 year olds like to eat the crayons, lol. If you have some blank paper you can let them have fun- you can even date the drawing and send it home. Bubbles are always a hit with all ages... The idea of going on a scavenger hunt is good, but I would avoid the candy bit... it can become a choking hazard, not too mention they don't need much sugar. You can usually find some age aproprate toys that are inexpensive, look at WalMart and we use to live near an amazing dollar store that would carry all kinds of party favors for all ages. Kids that age love to play dress up... this can be adaptive for boys and girls... just remember they have short attention spans so take it easy and keep it moving... they will have fun... for the 5yr old you might get something they could do, or have them help you lead the game of Simon Says... they are great helpers at that age.  

Have A Fun Time! 

ThinkAgainMom
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:32 AM

This age usually love and respond to music.  Put on some kid-fun music, give them all a colorful scarf (fabric) or streamer.

Play-doh fun is usually great.  Give them little plastic things to use with the doh - plastic spoons - little plastic containers - the putting in, taking out, scooping are great fun.  If you use those little lidded plastic reusables, you can let them finish with their doh in the container to take home.

Treasure hunts can be good at any age.  Clearly what you hide can't be a choking hazard.  Make colorful paper items based on the theme - butterflies, baseballs, whatever.  Hide them in fairly obvious places because they won't be great hunters yet.  You can even give them a paperbag, with some markers, and have an activity where they color the bag they will use to collect the treasure hunt items.

I don't know how good YOU are at pretend play, but I have never met a child in this age group who didn't like a magic carpet ride.  Have a stack of clean bath towels.  Everyone gets one, spreads it out on the floor (including you) and you go on a magic carpet ride to the birthday child's most exciting place, then any other spot a child suggests.  Make sure there is plenty of action, roller coaster ups and downs, flying through clouds and flocks of birds, past mountains, over lakes. Cover your eyes you're close to the sun! Let them shout out whatever they see.  Land back at the party spot for cake and ice cream!  (Trouble is, your child will want to do this all the time, with you!)

LoreleiSieja
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I wrote an article on Two Year Old birthday parties... here is the link:

http://raisingcreativechildren.com/birthday-party-ideas-twoyearolds/

If you've already invited the children, then you're stuck, but that is a lot of kids for a two-year-old party.  The important thing is to make sure YOUR CHILD has a good time.  It is extremely common for the birthday child to spend the party in tears or tantrums.  Most parents invite too many kids, have too much sugary treats, too much going on, and the birthday child feels overwhelmed.  My article gives suggestions on how to keep the party at a level the child can deal with.  

I have three complete birthday parties for two-year-olds already written out in pdf form.  The winter party is here: http://raisingcreativechildren.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Star-for-the-Day-Birthday-Party.pdf

It is a Costume Party.  Every child can either come dressed up already, or you can have a box of dress-up clothes and they can have fun dressing up at your house.  For a craft project, they can make necklaces from colored pasta like uncooked elbow macaroni. For games, you can play "freeze" - have them dance to lively music, but when a parent stops the music, they freeze.  Take pictures. You can have them play musical chairs - in an adapted version.  Let every child have a chair.  Do not take away a chair.  Just let them scramble for a chair - two year olds are too young to play a game that has winners and losers.  

My article also suggests food ideas, books to read, and apprpriate presents.  I hope you'll check it out!

Raising Creative Children

Nurturing Creative Young Minds and Wiggly Bodies

hudson.maggie
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:36 AM
When my daughter was around 1-2 we did a sundae party- had the icecream and all the toppings to the side and let them make there own sundae- I know it really isn't an "activity" but the kids loved making their own!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hudson.maggie
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:37 AM
This idea would also be cute with personal pizzas (letting them out the cheese And toppings on it)

Quoting hudson.maggie:

When my daughter was around 1-2 we did a sundae party- had the icecream and all the toppings to the side and let them make there own sundae- I know it really isn't an "activity" but the kids loved making their own!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:05 PM

We do crafts, bubbles, games and plenty of toys

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)