Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

What would you do if your child had Locked In Syndrome?

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:12 AM
  • 3 Replies

I was watching TV and saw a program about it. It sounds so horrible, not being able to talk or move your body. I don't even think having cancer sounds quite as bad. :( I couldn't imagine the pain they are in or the pain their parents and family feel.

I think if my son was locked in I'd spend as much time as I could with him. I'd probably find a way to work from home if he was well enough to stay at home and not be in the hospital.I'd take care of him for as long as I'm alive and I'd give him lots of hugs and kisses and play all his favorite music and TV shows. I know if I couldn't move, it would comfort me a lot seeing my family and friends express their love for me even if I couldn't express my gratitude and how much I love them in return.

If my son was in a coma I definitely couldn't have the plug pulled because there's always a chance they might be aware of what's going on.

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:54 AM

If I were in a coma I'd want the plug pulled. If I were aware of what was going on, my brain would be saying, "Someone, please pull the plug, please pull the plug."

If my child had locked in syndrome I'd research everything about it and do the best I could. If they were in a coma with no hope I'd pull the plug.

bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd hope to have a doctor like House to successfully diagnose the syndrome and then find the solution for my child. If there was none, or if the child was actually in a coma, not locked in, I'd pull the plug. It isn't the wish of anyone in my family to be sustained longterm on life support.

Reina13
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I would hope that I would be strong enough to make the decision to pull the plug but I really cant say with any certainty unless in that situation.

Enjoy a Coffee Break Every Tuesday with Us!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)