Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Desperate

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:40 AM
  • 7 Replies

I am a mom of a 17 month old.  I am concerned that she bangs her head against her crib.  I have raised the bumper to the crib higher to buffer some of the impact but my daughter sits up against her crib and slams her back/head against it really hard before she goes to sleep and even during the night most nights.  I spoke with the doc and she says that I shouldn't be concerned.  I have done research online and everyone says to not be worried.  I am worried that all the banging might cause brain damage.  IS there anyone who can recommend a doc or something I can do to stop her from doing it so often or so hard?? 

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:02 AM

That would make me nervous too, but I have heard it's normal, that's why they have hard skulls! She will outgrow it, does she do it if you are with her?

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:49 AM

She will not do it hard enough to hurt herself. But I would consider having her evaluated for autism. Is she developmentally on target?

Shianmei
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:24 PM

She does it when she is on the sofa also, but I am not as worried because the cushions will not hurt her head/brain.  Thanks.

Shianmei
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Thanks. I think I will have her evaluated even tho' her pediatrician thinks she is fine.

bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Like mommy2justone said, she's not going to do it hard enough to hurt herself. Was she a preemie, by any chance? I've heard that preemies are more likely to headbang like that - my younger brothers who were twins born about 6wks or so premature did that until they were 4 - and it's a developmental issue. Autistics and other such disorders are also likely to do this when they're infants.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:55 PM

headbanging is completely normal!!  i've done a lil research on it, (because i used to do that when i was a baby/toddler/child/teen)  and i assure you i turned out ok..i think..lol.. for me, it was a way to self soothe..i didnt do it, to try and hurt myself, it never hurt! 

Shianmei
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Thanks Alex, I appreciate your feedback. I do feel a bit better.  I just find it very hard to imagine that it would not hurt. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured