Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Is it colic?

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:05 PM
  • 13 Replies

I have a 7 week old who from 5-6 will not be consoled for more than three or four minutes at a time.  It's the longest hour of my day every day.  Once he is upset, he stays upset for long periods and at this point, I have to put him down and just let him cry becuase it upsets and frustrates me so much to keep trying and failing to soothe him.  

Here are some of the things I've tried:

-Swaddling

-diaper change

-(doesn't matter whether I feed him at five or at 3 or 4 or 6)

-rocking in rocking chair

-singing

-walking

-combining rocking and singing

-combining walking and singing

-playing

-burping

I really don't know if it's colic, or if there's something else I can try.  I don't want my baby to be upset for so long, especially at so young an age!!  I feel completely overwhelmed right now with this.

Thank you so much for your feedback.

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cynthje
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Both my kids had like an hour a day where there was nothing i could do to comfort them, i called it their crazy time (whitching hour).  I dont think its colic but i also dont know what causes it! All i did was hang in there and it went away in a few weeks

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:14 PM
5-6pm? This is a very common time for fussiness. Often referred to as the witching hour. It will pass and he will grow out of it. Just baby wear him and try some white noise. He should completely grow out of it by 12 weeks if not before. Also, fussiness peaks at 6 or 7 weeks and then just slowly starts to dwindle. Just hang in there....its totally normal. I know how frustrating it is; I've been there. Hugs!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:14 PM

doesnt sound like colic to me..only because colic is usually alllll day..not just during one hour.   my daughter usually had a bad hour during that time of day too...just know that eventually, he will outgrow it :)

demure7242
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you so much!!!!!  It helps knowing I'm not alone and that he will grow out of it and I'm not doing something wrong to cause him to be upset.  

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this

aww no you cant blame yourself.  babies cry, thats just what they do..lol. i remember one day my daughter just wouldnt stop crying, nothing i did would calm her down, i finally ended up calling my mom cuz i was crying cuz i felt so helpless..my mom came over and BAM my daughter stopped! go figure, i guess she was just sick of me..LOL

Quoting demure7242:

Thank you so much!!!!!  It helps knowing I'm not alone and that he will grow out of it and I'm not doing something wrong to cause him to be upset.  

demure7242
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:24 PM

My husband leaves work at 5:30 and comes home around 6 or 6:30 and I swear as soon as he comes home Thomas is an angel again.

marisab
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:04 AM

sound slike it but alwasy good aska dr

singlemama0905
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Doesn't sound like colic to me...but its also different for every child. My son had colic, like clockwork every day at 430 the insane nonstop screaming started out and kept up until around midnight almost every night. Outside walking with him helped some as long as I kept walking and bouncing with him. Also showers. I'd just put him up on my shoulder and stand in the shower with him, ALWAYS calmed him down for a bit..and was relaxing for me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frstldyhmsch
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Will he take a pacificer? Colic last wayyyy longer than 1 hour and not just a specific hour either. It just may be a phase. A soothing CD may help.

AuntyEm774
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:43 PM

All of my kids did the same thing, and Mom said I was that way too. Mine all grew out of that stage between a couple months old and 6 months old. They were happier once they could move around more on their own. The only thing that helped mine was putting them in the swing and just ignoring the crying. (I know it sounds terrible, but it is only for a short time everyday.)

Keep your chin up--it will get better!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)