Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

my son is 1 on sunday and I am thinking about making a cake - is there any recipes I should try

pic on page 2

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Replies (11-20):
The_Doodle
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I use a regular box cake mix, but I add an extra egg, use milk instead of water, and use double the amount of oil but I use butter instead. It comes out way better.

SissyAnn141
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:40 AM

BUMP!

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:42 AM
1 mom liked this

i would just use a box mix.  happy bday to your son!!!  :)

blowing candles

beadingmom17
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I usually do cupcakes and I found a great recipe by Googling (it was on someone's blog, but it was called Amy Sedaris's vanilla cupcakes). Very basic recipe, but very fluffy and moist! And I recommend using the Wilton's buttercream recipe or another buttercream recipe.

Never fails to impress at parties :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anotherandree
by Inga on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I have gotten alot of great recipes from www.allrecipes.com.

wishbearmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:57 AM
1 mom liked this

My favorite cake recipes are crazy cakes, no eggs or dairy; I have one for chocolate, applesauce and banana. PM me for any or all of the recipes.

momamanda
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Allrecipes.com is awesome! I get all my recipes from there! People who try them, then rate them and comment on them so you know if it's good or not! I personally do not like storebought cake mix. Here is my chocolate cake recipe that I use for almost all my cakes I got it from Allrecipes. I get alot of compliments on this cake. you can't taste the cofee but it makes it so moist. when you add the coffee it makes it look to watery but that's ok it bakes up perfectly moist and delicious!

2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 cups white sugar
    3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1 cup milk
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cup hot, strong coffee

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.
    In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, and baking soda. Add the oil, milk, eggs, and vanilla, mix until smooth. Stir in the hot coffee last. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
    Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.

haileys_mommy06
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this
If you love chocolate... Hershey's chocolaty chocolate cake with their chocolate frosting. You can find the recipe on the Hershey's cocoa box. So good and super moist! I hate dry cake.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
haileys_mommy06
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Actually I think it may be called Hershey's perfect chocolate chocolate cake. Something along those lines.

Quoting haileys_mommy06:

If you love chocolate... Hershey's chocolaty chocolate cake with their chocolate frosting. You can find the recipe on the Hershey's cocoa box. So good and super moist! I hate dry cake.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kirbyland10
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

thanks for all the advice,

it came out ok... just a few things to improve for next time

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)