Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Is this normal?

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:24 PM
  • 14 Replies
I started my 4 month old son on solids (bananas). He seems to love them but everytime he poops now it's black and smells horrible. Is that normal?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-PB
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Their poop does change once they start solids.  My dd's poop was always bright orange after eating carrots or sweet potatoes.  And the stench......oy.  Another reason to wait to start solids.  lol

NearSeattleMom
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I think that's kind of early to start solids.  (Opinions vary, but I preferred to hold off as long as possible.)

Bananas can be constipating, so that might be an issue.  Plus, maybe he has a sensitivity?  I would avoid them if I were you.

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:06 PM
1 mom liked this

If I remember correctly that is normal, google it! 

NoahsMommy10412
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:15 PM
How long does it last? The smell and color?

Quoting -PB:

Their poop does change once they start solids.  My dd's poop was always bright orange after eating carrots or sweet potatoes.  And the stench......oy.  Another reason to wait to start solids.  lol

StacyO722
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I think that is early to be starting solids. But their poop does change once solids are introduced.

NoahsMommy10412
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:27 PM
His doctor said it was okay and to just start with fruits, vegetables, meat, and oatmeal. He eats 8 ounces of formula each feeding and eats about every 5 hours so he gets between 24-32 ounces each day (depending on how often he eats).

Quoting StacyO722:

I think that is early to be starting solids. But their poop does change once solids are introduced.

-PB
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Its kind of a permanent thing but it varies depending on what they eat.

Quoting NoahsMommy10412:

How long does it last? The smell and color?

Quoting -PB:

StacyO722
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Just expressing my opinion based on my experiance. We started cereal at 4 months, veggies at 6, and fruits after that per Dr's orders. I'm sure each Dr goes by their own schedule.

Quoting NoahsMommy10412:

His doctor said it was okay and to just start with fruits, vegetables, meat, and oatmeal. He eats 8 ounces of formula each feeding and eats about every 5 hours so he gets between 24-32 ounces each day (depending on how often he eats).

Quoting StacyO722:

strangeyfine
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:24 AM

Is he being given an iron supplement? Thata can make baby poop black. If not it's a sign of Melena, or digested blood- PLEASE call your doc about this!

NoahsMommy10412
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:09 PM
No he's not given an iron supplement. It doesn't hurt him or anything just is black and smells bad. It doesn't seem to be to hard. I am thinking it's the bananas that are causing it. Although I don't think he's allergic to them.

Quoting strangeyfine:

Is he being given an iron supplement? Thata can make baby poop black. If not it's a sign of Melena, or digested blood- PLEASE call your doc about this!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)