Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

For those that live in apartments- At what age did you allow your child to play outside without YOUR supervision?

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:02 PM
  • 45 Replies
2 moms liked this

My son is 8 and right now he is playing outside with a few neighborhood kids. They are going back and forth from a grassy area to a fenced in black top area that is right next to it. I met the mom today and she invited my son to play. She says that she watches the kids from her apartment. From my apartment, I can't see them at all so I am going out to check on them about every 10-15 minutes. Part of me thinks that I should just relax and not worry so much and part of me is "what if". Any advice?

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tinakinakins
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I don't know if I would soley trust a woman to watch my kiddo. I'd be doing what you are, checking every so often.

lilmama3189
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:07 PM
2 moms liked this
Its not that I dont trust my kids, I dont trust other people or their kids. Im a paranoid momma..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Angelanscalf89
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:08 PM
My dd is 5 ive never let her play unsupervised but last summer my 11 year old niece or 14 yr old sister would take her outside. But the only place in the apts that kids can play is literally right at my back door and theres swings and stuff im thinking about letting dd play outside without me this summer with all her friends but I can watch her from my kitchen window.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
acrogodess
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:11 PM
I haven't yet except in the back yard. Lucky me. Once we moved out of mom's place in the nycha projects all of our apartments have been in two family houses. Ds is almost 12 but has multiple special needs and dd is just 9.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
masonsmommy107
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:13 PM
We live in th country and live far off the road and no neighbors and I let ds 6 play out side with out me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:36 PM

About 8. We lived in a very new subdivision and everyone knew everybody else. All the kids grew up togther. Most of the time I didn't know where dd was just in the neighborhood. From the top of the road to the very last house around the circle was less than a mile. It is still that way.

SciFiMama91
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:41 PM
It depends on the maturity of the child. I let my 4 year old play in our front "yard" while I make dinner. If he continues to be responsible I'd allow what you described around 8 or 9.
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:24 PM

i think i would allow my 8yr old.  she is a pretty responsible kid.  but i would also let it be known that if she broke any of the rules, that would be the last time for a looooong time.

coupon_ash_back
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:25 PM
I don't know but it annoys me when others are letting their kids run wild without supervision. Everyone see ps me out with my kids and assume I will watch theirs and even come around asking me to babysit..umm no.
momof2891
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:49 AM
The way people are around my neighborhood... My kids aren't allowed to go outside unless me or their daddy is with them and they have to stay in the side yard. We aren't in an actual complex... It's a house that's been converted into two apartments. We are on the corner of two busy streets Nd people love to drive like maniacs. Plus my oldest is only six. At my parents, it's different. I will let them play in the fences backyard but we are able to see them through the windows.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)